Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

front axle shims

Rodger

Hi guys,

Time for me to make some adjustments etc to my front axle which is a 60 series axle in a 40 series but as far as I'm aware (and please correct me if I'm wrong) the only difference is the width of the axle.

So I thought I'd refresh the brain cell so read my 60 series Haynes manual and then checked my 40 series Haynes... The 60 series one says shims at top only whereas the 40 series says shims top and bottom...

So which is it?

Thanks in anticipation of your answers

regards,

Rodger

Hi Rodger steering knuckle and axle shaft top and bottom it is for the shims R you ok tonytoyota. :icon-ugeek:

are you making a caster adjustment? If so the caster shim position would be the same. The only other shims would be for knuckle bearing preload (top and bottom of knuckle ).
From the factory the 60 generally did not need one on the bottom. Typically the FJ40 had a single thick shim on the bottom and a couple of thinner ones on top depending on need

Thanks lcwizard, that's very helpful so i'll see how it looks on the preload.

We're fine Tony, just been to Andorra for a bit of off-roading... 2400 kms in the old lady and virtually no problems but now I've a little corrective work to do, hence the axle.

I think/hope TonyS is trying to persuade Chris from Oz to do a write up of the Andorra trip for the forum but then again maybe TonyS has his hands full with the arrival of Sid.

regards,

Back