Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

front diff

I think so. They're prop shafts Dervis. Not differentials. Good to have a link to propshaft fixers though. People do forget about them.

I think so. They're prop shafts Dervis. Not differentials. Good to have a link to propshaft fixers though. People do forget about them.

Yes your right Chris got mixed up there. Differentials are far different....lol

Why did you leave it over a year though Jonathan? Surely after spending two days fitting it and the cost to buy it ,you would have been better getting it sorted before now?

As others have said. You could sort it out fairly cheaply but, it could cost a fair bit.
May be worth a drive over to Chris so he can see what's what.
Hi Karl,
I think CG posted link to roughtrax kit didn't he? But that doesn't include shims
No kit does because you don't know what you need until you pull it apart
Are you going to rebuild it yourself? If you aren't far away I'd be happy to have a look at it for you. I'm near Milner's and their bearings are fine so if it was here on the bench and we needed something we could be there and back in 40 mins
Ok you could order a whole kit up front to be ready
It all depends what's wrong with it
I have just tuned diffs before where really all that was wrong was the set up and not bearings at all. I can't advise you better unless I had the thing on the bench
It might be pinion preload or carrier preload perhaps tooth engagement or of course bearing wear
What are the symptoms that lead you to believe some sold you a dud diff? I presume you've had it in the vehicle and driven it?

Hi Chris,
thanks for the reply. When I bought the vehicle it had free wheel hubs. Obviously fitted because the owner didn't want to spend money on the whining diff, so it was always in 2wd. After pulling the diff out I could audibly hear worn bearings by turning the input shaft by hand. All the gears look good and clean though. The diff from Gary/Williams sounded even worse after fitting. It is still in the truck. It has taken me a while to get back on the case as I have been super busy but I gace Gary heads-up on it ages. Anyhow in all that time the diff has not moved since I pulled the front prop. I also need to remove the viscous coupling before getting back 4x4 as that is faulty. Simply want to turn it into an open diff. Thanks for the offer of helping I may take you up on that Chris. Where in the country are you?

If you click on the MAP icon in people's avatar you will see where we all are. I am in Chesterfield, East Midlands

I actually have a non VC transfer case rear housing and the correct length prop shaft to go with it. I'd rather stick another VC in it myself. But that's your choice of course. Easy to swap the end housings and prop.

Do you still have the diff you took out? Might be easier to fix that one up and swap it out when you're ready than run round with no diff in whilst getting it fixed. If the gears are good, doing a bearing job on it doesn't take long. Pinion gears are a bit more faffing of course but they're very often good.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Probably bearings. It whines...what can I say. Planetary gears looked okay

I'll be dropping in this summer again Jonathon, so provided we're not on the bike I'll bring it back up north and see what we can do for you between us.

So far I have been 2 years busy taking out my radiator to have the top tank re welded as it leaks, started the job only to realize I did not have the time to get it done as I needed the truck for a trip, so reassembled and have been keeping the coolant topped up until I can be bothered enough to finish the job.

It holds pressure so only loses about a liter of coolant every 4 tanks of fuel, the first trip to Portugal and back it only needed to be topped up twice, but it's starting to get a bit regular now so I should perhaps do something about it.

Two days on a front diff does not sound that bad to me, especially if you have not done it before ;)

I'm 10 years fixing the kitchen light switch, its still composed of bare wires....................:tearsofjoy:

Theres only one 5 minute job in life, and you'll have to ask the missus about that...

Hi Karl,

Hi Chris,
thanks for the reply. When I bought the vehicle it had free wheel hubs. Obviously fitted because the owner didn't want to spend money on the whining diff, so it was always in 2wd. After pulling the diff out I could audibly hear worn bearings by turning the input shaft by hand. All the gears look good and clean though. The diff from Gary/Williams sounded even worse after fitting. It is still in the truck. It has taken me a while to get back on the case as I have been super busy but I gace Gary heads-up on it ages. Anyhow in all that time the diff has not moved since I pulled the front prop. I also need to remove the viscous coupling before getting back 4x4 as that is faulty. Simply want to turn it into an open diff. Thanks for the offer of helping I may take you up on that Chris. Where in the country are you?
if it helps I have a garage with a lift in (at work ) but I have the keys.

That's a really kind offer Kiera, where abouts are you located? I'm guessing somewhere Up Derbyshire way? Couldn't get the map to behave.

Derbyshire is the furthest county from the sea. So I doubt that collecting driftwood is something Kiera would be doing regulalry Rich if she lived in the 'Shire'. (See introduction)

Last edited:
I really must try and pay more attention Chris…:doh:

Derbyshire is the furthest county from the sea. So I doubt that collecting driftwood is something Kiera would be doing regulalry Rich if she lived in the 'Shire'. (See introduction)
I work in Carmarthenshire and my eldest son Jonathon loves the Pembrey park as his uncle (from my 1st) was one of the wardens so we have access to most parts. I will post photos later.

Last edited:
Back