Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Front winch bumper build (80)

So do you think the second/third (if you count the rear) bumper build was any easier?

Looking good, so the big question, are you going to powder coat it white to match :naughty:

WHITE????? Not a chance. It will be black, black, black.

Yes, easier Tony. In some respects. Getting better at welding and fabrication. Still hampered by total lack of space. I need to get the quad bike out of the garage. I can't move. The 80 is actually very easy to make a bumper for. The 90 was a nightmare on the front one. Far too many fiddly angles and bits. You can make a bumper in a day for an 80. OK a very simple one, but one piece of girder, cut and welded and hey presto, a bumper!

The thing that makes it easier is doing another one for the same vehicle. No that's not an offer. But you learn so much on the first one. I would certainly make another 80 bumper very differently. Got the back one to tackle next. It's not easy to design something and make it as a one off. The design happens AS you make it.

C

Can I put in a special request for the bumper? Just some bits I would find handy for when I buy it from you. Better than having to go back and redo it ;)

Keep pushing Crispin. Just keep pushing. Read my lips. "You ain't getting it!"

I really like it.

Anyway you wouldn't want it until I have done the rear winch, drawers and 3" exhaust, would you.

Chris

Ecoman said:
mmm black bogies :lol:
aren't everyones bogies black then? :lol: plenty of that here this weekend plus black 'sand' in the bottom of the bath with just a little bit of red stuff mixed in from Lincomb :lol: might get Eric's sliders finished this week and then I can make a start on the diff someone dumped outside :mrgreen: it's about time I got started on my own bumper projects :roll:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
For the record, I did NOT dump it. :whistle:

Someone, I said 'someone'.. was still in the land of Nodd when I arrived. Not wishing to wake you from your slumber, knowing that your wallet had a particularly hard day ahead, I placed it gently on the floor and bogged off. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sounds promising Jon. Should I be applying for the road tax, dy'think?

Chris

I don't think you're going to have to wait till next year for it :thumbup: :mrgreen: Early the week after this one I should think and then whenever you can get over for it.

Top banana! Oooh, It's like Christmas come early. Oh, hang on..

Thanks Jon. Really appreciate it. Can't wait on get back on the road.

Chris

Well, it's all coming together at last. With a bit of luck, the bumper should be off to the powder coater tomorrow and back in time for Wales.
IMGP4226.jpg

Put the bumper back on today with some bits added and for some reason I decided to not push it on so far. There are six bolt holes per 'shoe' but I only ever used 4 of them originally. With the bumper standing off by one hole, it looks so much better. I then thought that 2 bolts per side (instead of 4) would be enough. Obviously pulling the bumper forward meant that not all of the holes were over captive nut.
IMGP4231.jpg

But after a cogitate and thinking that Jon would roast me for under-engineering I went with 3 per side. I had to extend the shoe with a tab to get the third bolt in though. No prob. With some added gussets for mega strength an a swivel hook, plus the winch isolator I reckoned it was done.
IMGP4227.jpg

IMGP4228.jpg

New Sirio aerial and mount on the front too. Incidentally, to protect any pedestrians stupid enough to wander out, I found that one of those rubber golf ball tow ball protectors fits nicely over the air point. That should keep people happy.
IMGP4230.jpg

Added a light bar for future purchases.
IMGP4229.jpg

Next pic will be coated an mounted ready for action. Do go away!

Chris

Attachments

• IMGP4226.jpg
    IMGP4226.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 95
  • IMGP4231.jpg
    IMGP4231.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 78
  • IMGP4227.jpg
    IMGP4227.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 83
  • IMGP4228.jpg
    IMGP4228.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 86
  • IMGP4230.jpg
    IMGP4230.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 85
  • IMGP4229.jpg
    IMGP4229.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 96
Yeah, looks shit - start again you oaf... :p

:lol:

Looks great Chris :cool: Looking forward to seeing it all powdercoatered :cool:

Makes you wonder about just buying one!

C

Looks good raw like that so it should look really good coated :thumbup:

Well, if I am honest, a good shot blast and a thick coat of powder has a real tendency to hide certain, well, manufacturing marks :whistle: :whistle:

You could say a multitude of sins, in fact. It's a one off that's for sure. Unique. One of a kind. Bodged, lash up .. OK that's enough.

Chris

Ok Ok, the wait is nearly over. Threads like this don't come along every day you know. Oh, hang on. Yes they do actually.
Well on here at any rate. Right. Pics are crap 'cos it happens to be night in case you hadn't noticed. Got the bumper back today, still at 76 degrees when i picked it up. Charged me £40. Not complaining at that. Really well coated. Nice and thick and glossy. Need to get a new number plate I thing. Looks really rubbish. Will drop the winch in tomorrow then Sat it's diff in, tidy up and go for a spin. Tax sorted and all mods reported to Flux insurance. Off road meet on Sunday up at Holymoorside. Should be really really really wet.

IMGP4234.jpg

IMGP4235.jpg

I'll get some decent pics then hopefully.

Chris

Attachments

• IMGP4234.jpg
    IMGP4234.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 102
  • IMGP4235.jpg
    IMGP4235.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 87
Nice..... now all it needs is a few scuff marks :twisted:

TonyP said:
Nice..... now all it needs is a few scuff marks :twisted:

Oi! I aint buying no battered vehicle. I want mine without scares please.

I'm not even going to reply to that!

I shall put it in my will to be left to the local dog's home for them to play in.

Fancy an 80 do we, by any chance?

C

Back