Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

fuel problem 80 series 1991 gx man diesel 4.2

darobbo

Country Flag
australia
ive got a fuel starvation problem on the main tank only,sub tank ok,I filled up with fuel added 150 mls of repco diesel injector cleaner only to the main tank , sub was already full, drove 300ks stopped for half an hr then started the return trip that's when it started to die like it was running out of fuel I changed to the sub tank it ran normal so I filled the main with fresh fuel and set off back down the highway . I got back by running on the sub tank for 15mins then change to the main it would run ok but down a bit on power til I hit a hill then it would play up again so I would change to sub tank for 15mins again and so on til I completed the 300 ks. any ideas what the problem could be before I pull it apart. has any one had this problem . thanks Dave

Have you checked the filter on the pick up pipe Dave in the main tank under the rear seats?

I had a similar issue. After a long journey or working the engine hard towing a trailer etc the truck would just die like it had run out of fuel. Turned out to be a blocked breather in the filler cap.

When it does it again. Go straight to the filler cap and take it off. If it hisses as air rushed into the tank then your filler will be blocked. Take the cap off and try to blow or suck though the cap from the threads side (not pleasant but easiest way to find out). A while ago someone posted a strip down guide on here. Its pretty straight forward and it basically clips together. Clean all the components and put it back together and see if it cures your problem.

thanks its Saturday here in Sydney so im just about to start searching for the cause .
cheers

Back