Fuel Pump Location Colorado 2000 series 90 (KDJ95)

Paul Baker

New Member
I am in uk
May 2, 2018
24
6
3
Worksop
Hi all im suffering the dreaded "hunting/fuel starvation on accelration issue" yet again.....ibve had this issue on my truck for literally years !! yes years !! :) in the past all i do is replace the fuel filter and the fault clears...for 6 months or so..than it reappears and i have to replace the filter again...hay presto the fault clears again...........problem is i replaced the filter 2 weeks ago and the problems back already :((((( so im thinking fuel pump filter sock maybe ? thing is i THINK the fuel pump is in the tank ? but not sure how to get to /replace this ? is there an inspection/access panel anywhere ?

thanks all
 

StarCruiser

Well-Known Member
Supporter
Guru
I am in uk
Oct 7, 2014
11,745
4,756
113
Bognor Regis UK
Garage
Pretty sure there is no pump other than the injection pump. The filter sock can get blocked. @Shayne has also had priming issues after changing his fuel filter. I’ve a feeling he’s dropped the tank to get to the filter sock but I may be wrong. There have been cases of holed diaphragms or fuel pipe pin holes as well as difficult priming.
 

Paul Baker

New Member
I am in uk
May 2, 2018
24
6
3
Worksop
which/where filter sock ? im struggling to understand why simply changinf the filter cured the fault for up to 6 months.....but this time it hasnt
 

Shayne

Well-Known Member
Supporter
Guru
Feb 2, 2013
12,860
4,661
113
South Wales UK
Yeah you have to drop the tank to get to the sock , it's not difficult to do though , remove the tank guard , stick a bucket under there to catch the fuel and undo the drain plug on the bottom of the tank . Pull the rubber fuel pipes off pop a jack under the tank to stop it falling on you while you undo the straps holding the tank in place .
 
Don't like the adverts? Remove them by becoming a supporting member.   Click here

Shayne

Well-Known Member
Supporter
Guru
Feb 2, 2013
12,860
4,661
113
South Wales UK
The pipework coming off the tank is also prone to corrosion so maybe a tiny hole is sucking air in only when when the truck is laid up for a few days ?

There is only a fuel pump on the side of your engine and while the SPV are know to fail sometimes it usually happens in short order so i doubt the pump is the problem .
 

Yorkshire4x4

Active Member
I am in uk
Aug 6, 2016
81
7
8
Wakefiekd
Hi Paul

My coli d4d suddenly died on me In August on the motorway no symptoms prior to it failing. Everyone was baffled with this..... I changed the SCVs but this did not resolve the issue. I had to get my fuel pump reconditioned new seals etc..... Beau knows what he's on about
 

StarCruiser

Well-Known Member
Supporter
Guru
I am in uk
Oct 7, 2014
11,745
4,756
113
Bognor Regis UK
Garage
which/where filter sock ? im struggling to understand why simply changinf the filter cured the fault for up to 6 months.....but this time it hasnt
Because the filter wasn’t the problem, it simply eased the already difficult passage of the fuel by fitting a new one. Either that or you’ve got some very crappy fuel or diesel bug that’s bunging it up. In other words something (filter sock or internally collapsed fuel pipe) is restricting useful fuel flow by 95%, say, and the filter blocks the remaining 5% over 6 months, then you’ve got the starvation problem again. New filter and off you go again.

Two things to rule out, really crappy fuel/diesel bug. Cut open one of your old fuel filters and examine the filter media. If really badly clogged, could be that the filter sock has been removed or otherwise is not present

Fuel hoses have been known to delaminate and collapse internally, so remove and inspect/replace these as a cheap and simple item.
 
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks