Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Full Axle Refurbs

iceman

Country Flag
south_africa
This has most likely been asked before, but Im looking to get axles fully refurbed who have you used where they any good and what was the cost?

I dont't know about cost but I can tell you about the effort required as I have just done my rear and am doing my front one right now.

I took mine out, cleaned, stripped, cleaned, replaced all bearings, cups , seals, rust treated, waxoyled, rebuilt the calipers as well and refitted. It took me 7-8 days on the rear and about the same on the front. Days are only about 6hrs long though :icon-wink:

I dont't know about cost but I can tell you about the effort required as I have just done my rear and am doing my front one right now.

I took mine out, cleaned, stripped, cleaned, replaced all bearings, cups , seals, rust treated, waxoyled, rebuilt the calipers as well and refitted. It took me 7-8 days on the rear and about the same on the front. Days are only about 6hrs long though :icon-wink:

Fair play to you mate. A job well done! A refurb job like that will cost you big time at a garage.

I have to ask, just why is it that you need, or you think you need a full axle refirb?

Just keen that you don't spend a huge amount of time and money on something that doesn't need doing, but you think it does.

Full job is diffs out, new bearings, seals, pinion bearings etc. Rear axles on these are just about the most relaible things on the plant. Front axles generally just need outer ends doing.

To be fair, I'm not doing diffs, they don't need it. My main concern was rust, particularly around the upper and lower arm mounting points. Mine needed treatment. I have seen photos of these torn off ! The extent to which you bite this bullet will be dependent on how much you know about your cars history, what you want to do with it and what gives you peace of mind.

Actually the question was aimed at Iceman Mark. But yours look stunning. How'd you fancy a swap for four piles of magic bricks?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Chris,

One of the front swivels is dry and rusty so I thought I'd do a kit replacement and maybe a swivel until I realised that it is connected to the axle and thought well why not just refurb the full front axle as it will provide some measure of peace of mind.

PS just got the 12v starter sorted and its a dream.:dance:

Here you go is this bad or fair? I hope its fair as I'm leaving for Morocco on Sun.
IMG-20141126-WA0010.jpg

Another reason being I had planned to upgrade the 285mm (1991) brakes and thought I may as well do it all at once. Obviously this is planned for ealry 2015 when I get back from Morocco

I would like to refurbish both of mine pretty much for the same reason, no actual problems but lots of surface rust and just does not look nice. As it has only been on the road for a short while after a long layoff it can wait awhile.

regards

Dave

Well done you. Excellent now you can play with the battery set up too.

That's a pretty good looking swivel really. No oil running down it which means that your inner seals are probably ok. Even if it had been leaking and the diff was now dry, you'd see the mess it made. Should be a decent one to work on.

You know the swivl end, knuckle, cannon ball isn't actually a bearing part? It only needs to be smoothish so that the felt seals sit nicely and keep the crap out. It's nice when they are polished and shiny but it's not essential.

Thanks Chris that makes me feel a little more confident about the swivels. I still want to do the refurb but I'll put it further down the list. Yeah and I've added a split charge system so full separated set-up.

Thanks for the links Firewout its my first time so really looking forward to it.

6611591877_c8f8bd7d93.jpg

That's me (TheWarden on the HuBB) getting my axle repaired in Boudjour 2011 after the rear upper link bar mount sheared n the WS. 2 teenagers and the town welder fabbed a new mount from scratch fed me breakfast and lunch getting me back on the road in about 5 hours.

I've since had that mount replaced and all the other strengthen by a local engineers for £300 and the diff rebuilt with ear bearing and 2nd ring gear and pinion for £350 Only thing I haven't done are the bearings

Hi Mark any places we can stop along the E80 (Spain) to pick up a few camping bits we have forgotten?

Probably but nowhere I know, I tend to blast through Spain as quick as possible so no help really

Last edited:
Back