Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Gaffer tape

All was well if you used those new dangled ‘pozidrive’ screws but slot heads…ouch!!
As a 16 year old apprentice I once had to screw an entire floor up with one of these. I had bad blisters on the palm of each hand by the time I'd done.
Before anyone says it. They were nothing to do with being 16...

We used to put slotted brass screws in fire door hinges with these too. Horrendous..
Sorry for the thread jack chas

As a 16 year old apprentice I once had to screw an entire floor up with one of these. I had bad blisters on the palm of each hand by the time I'd done.
Before anyone says it. They were nothing to do with being 16...

We used to put slotted brass screws in fire door hinges with these too. Horrendous..
Sorry for the thread jack chas
No apologies needed Mike, I'm enjoying all the comments.

Old lampies will understand this.

Old Lampies.jpg

Reactions: Bob
I have a crate full of gels, and a few rolls as spare. I use them a few times every year, on PARs, profiles and fresnels. Very few modern led things in my stock. Funny thing is that a few of the gel holders/frames are always missing, so every year the smith gets to cut and bend a few new ones. And with 7 different sizes....

I have a crate full of gels, and a few rolls as spare. I use them a few times every year, on PARs, profiles and fresnels. Very few modern led things in my stock. Funny thing is that a few of the gel holders/frames are always missing, so every year the smith gets to cut and bend a few new ones. And with 7 different sizes....
Is it me or do the LED versions need to be really good quality to not look slightly harsh?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I think you are right. Something with the composition of the light, that it doesn't contain all the wavelengths (as compared to the sun or to halogen bulbs).

Is it me or do the LED versions need to be really good quality to not look slightly harsh?
I think a suitable colour could help. Margot Fonteyn always insisted on a Rank Strand 153 gel in her follow spot, hid the wrinkles. :icon-wink:

Reactions: uHu
How can this be a home hobby?
It’s not, just a group of theatre techs talking shop.

Oh sorry, were you asking how to make it into a Home hobby? Thinking of impressing Em one evening…? :shifty:

Can someone educate me here?..
A Rank Strand (supplier of theatrical equipment) 153 gel was a soft pinky sort of colour which was kinder to older artists faces, made them look younger, mind you Fonteyn's dancing made her look like a teenager, in Rome Juliet she looked like a virginal young girl, unbelievably at 66 years old she performs for the last time as the Queen in The Sleeping Beauty.

Last edited:
I hope someone has some creative imagination when it come to Ross Lowell, coffin :)

G.

Back