Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Gantry speed cameras on the M1

Crispin

Administrator
Staff member
Guru
Country Flag
great_britain
Has anyone ever been caught by them? I'm a firm believer in them not working. For many years I've gone under them faster than the displays said thinking it was only a guide ( :whistle: ) and thought nothing of it.
On Saturday on the M1 the gantry in the opposite directions looked like a disco light as the cameras in the various lanes were catching people. I counted about 10 different sets of flashes from the various cameras.

Guessing I've just been lucky... :pray:

Same as the M25 - seems the cameras are inactive most of the time but they can activate them when they want to (the police needs Christmas party funds?). Maybe they're set to go off if silly speeds are detected but if the traffic is flowing and a few people are doing 71 then I guess they tolerate it :whistle:

Lots of gantrys on M1 around J25 area.

I believe that until recently they were not activated. I think they got activated about 6 months ago?

Guess who is going on a speed awareness course tomorrow :whistle: 50 in a 40 zone. Camera about 200 metres from 60 down to 40 sign, downhill. Me not concentrating. Oooops, and worst thing is I know the camera is there!

Brendan

Among the biker crowd it is believed that the M25 cameras only come on with the gantry speed signs.

BrendanB said:
Lots of gantrys on M1 around J25 area. I believe that until recently they were not activated. I think they got activated about 6 months ago? Guess who is going on a speed awareness course tomorrow :whistle: 50 in a 40 zone. Camera about 200 metres from 60 down to 40 sign, downhill. Me not concentrating. Oooops, and worst thing is I know the camera is there! Brendan
I did a speed awareness course a while back, they wanted me to go to Hereford for the course but I managed to get it transferred to London, 35 in a 30 zone :naughty: (it was somewhere near BOAB's when I went to collect my roof tent) and one of the things we were told on the course was that because of the cost of operating them only about 20% of the cameras are active, in the London area at least. I can't remember the last time I saw a speed camera anywhere flash so maybe it's like that nationwide :think:
I found the course very interesting, we found out things like how to recognise speed limits where there were no sign posts. I was exoecting to be shown scenes of accident carnage :shock: but there was nothing like that. I must say that it worked, I drive much more carefully now :thumbup:

I'd ask your Toyota dealership to confirm that Chas :lol:

Sorry - couldn't resist, what with your insurance woes!!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Gary Stockton said:
I'd ask your Toyota dealership to confirm that Chas :lol:

Sorry - couldn't resist, what with your insurance woes!!
Naughty naughty Gary :naughty: that, er, senior moment :oops: was a long time before I did the course.

Cossack said:
I did a speed awareness course a while back, they wanted me to go to Hereford for the course but I managed to get it transferred to London, 35 in a 30 zone :naughty: (it was somewhere near BOAB's when I went to collect my roof tent) and one of the things we were told on the course was that because of the cost of operating them only about 20% of the cameras are active, in the London area at least. I can't remember the last time I saw a speed camera anywhere flash so maybe it's like that nationwide :think:

Whereabouts near Boab? We go there quite often to see Chris and TJ whilst picking up stock. 35 in a 30? I thought you got 10% + 2mph leeway. Speedo are only accurate to 10%

Now if THEY are argue speed cameras are SAFETY cameras why don't they operate them full time? Cost of operating speed cameras offset by cost to NHS/police/fire/ambulance/highway dept etc when they attend accidents?

Do modern speed cameras need to flash to take photos?

One bus lane in Bradford is monitored by cameras but they are normally switched off. Last time they switched them on after being off for many months/years caught 6,000 cars in 48 hours. Why not operate them more often but infrequently. This week Monday, next week Thursday, do it as a random pattern!

Brendan

IIRC they don't have to give you any leeway but it's usually just 10%, I know I got done (for the first time ever :shock: ) a few years ago for 34 in a 30 :roll:

Sorry Brendan that was a typo, it was 37 in a 30. I don't know where near BOAB's it was, the first I knew about it was when I received the summons in the post and I can't remember now what it said.
Maybe moden cameras don't need the flash :think: and don't give them ideas about random operations :hand:

You want to drive over here, the dam coppers hide in bushes, bus stops everywhere.........110k is a slow speed

Driving in the uk for 10+ years no ticket----- less than a month here tickets fines and points....that was over 4 years ago !!!! now driving very slowly

They the same in SA. Bushes with lasers.

Well I attended a speed awareness course yesterday :oops:

Yes Defenders can break the speed limit as well as Landcruisers :p

Brendan

I did mine this morning :oops: :oops:

was actually not that bad and actually was beneficial to be honest especially for the white van men that didnt have a clue about van speed limits being different to cars

Speed limits are the same if it is a car derived van. Like an Astra van for example. Once it is a van only model like a transit connect - yep, the limits are different.

Catches our people all the time.

Chris

there was only one that knew all of them :roll: , right through to LGV's, bit of a show off I recon :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

I shut up once I had done the full hit :lol: :lol: :lol:

Someone asked a question about speed limits for 'large 4x4s'

Instructor was surprised I knew about the differences in speed limits for 4 x 4s taxed as N1 or M1 :D

If you do not know the difference, do a little bit of research :p

Brendan

BrendanB said:
Well I attended a speed awareness course yesterday :oops:
Are these courses instead of or as well as the fine and points?

BrendanB said:
Yes Defenders can break the speed limit as well as Landcruisers :p
Was J66P towing you :lol:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mine was a course instead of fine and points, still cost me £90 though :evil: :evil:

Back