Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Gearbox problem on way from Switzerland to Hungary

Is that rust? Looks like water has got in. Rust is very abrasive and would wear through splines unless the gearwheel is pressed on which I don't think they are. Transfer oil should be changed every 36k miles.

Couldn't agree with you more about the rust abrasion Frank, I think that there is also varnishing/oxidation issues in there judging by the brown on the gears. Oxidation of oil is not good it fast loses its scuffing and EP properties etc. I have had a transfer chew its gears up after somebody ran it with hardly any oil. The transfer is very strong, but still needs to be maintained.

Yes there is a pump and it's driven from a sort of small key that sits between the T box and the A box or G box on a manual. Could be that the two were split at some point in the past and that key not put back in. It's pretty small and very easy to miss.
the Question is:
Is the pump running now - is that little key there?

I have a spare transfer box for an early HDJ81 auto (with no Viscous) sat in my garage, all good too. Might work out a lot cheaper!

I have a spare transfer box for an early HDJ81 auto (with no Viscous) sat in my garage, all good too. Might work out a lot cheaper!

Thanks for the offer, the car is fixed now... However all 3 of my 80's are 94 Autos so I may need one...send me a pm, if the offer is good I may take you up on it! :icon-cool:

Back