Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Germany

20190726_094233[4291].jpg

20190506_112233[4068].jpg

20190506_112101[4069].jpg

20190726_094227[4292].jpg

Pic 1: It looks like the bottom of the left hand A pillar needs work and along the inner sill. Pic 3 shows the shape the A pillar should be but isn't. LH floorpan may also be hiding some problems.
Pic 2: There should be a transmission shield on there but maybe it's off to show you more. Chassis looks ok but it is hard to tell with whatever stuff it's been coated in but It looks to me that the steering box maybe leaking and nothing looks like it has been greased in a while.
The interior looks ok although the h/top has been repainted (over spray on the rubber). Door cards are not distorted which implies that the seals are good. Interior looks reasonably complete.
Pic 4: With the floor covering it is hard to estimate just how good the floor really is. More over spray on seals.

IMO this has had a load of poor quality work done to sell and if you are contemplating this one you need to see it, preferably with a magnet in your hand.

Seeing as the thread is headed 'Germany' you should also be aware that the were 4559 40s built in Portugal from glider kits ([kit of parts shipped from Japan and assembled elsewhere] for the German market. These carry extra numbers in the VIN number of : 8. 85 or 9 (EEC codes) and they only apply to '79- 8/80 The numbers confuse vin number traces.

IMO opinion and only from the photos but there is probably a lot more work involved in this truck than initially meets the eye.

Regards,

Rodger

Just looked at the underside pic again and I don't think it is one of the 4559 because they were fitted with disc brakes and this looks like drums to me

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi it's the blue one with the hj60 runing gear in it you was going to ring me .

Just talking about the front wing photo. This is not an easy or quick fix as the wing support bar is spot welded (4 places) to the wing return and the mud and crud are difficult to get out.
I separated mine and they are bolted on so that I can regularly remove the wings and clean the mud and salt out. But this looks to me as if the wing return is very near or past recovery - it is not what you can see but gauging what you can't.
Unless you are good at welding and metal shaping and have facilities and are prepared to have the truck off the road for a time while you do it or have fairly deep pockets for someone else to do it, I'd leave it where it is and look elsewhere.
LHD driving is not difficult, just leave more space so you can see better. If you are worried about overtaking - don't - it'll take years to find something slow enough to overtake!!!!

Hope this helps

Regards,

Rodger

PS You have inspired me to update my evolution thread !

No too worried about welding I've been around land rovers for the last 25years , I have for a few more photos of the rear floor then I will either pop over and take a look or walk away.
Not to Kean on see all that stuff, what's ever it is on the chassis.
Only thing that's going for it ,or I've been told that the Germany mot is far stricter than ours . Having seen its mot and previous ones they have not picked up on much.

For comparison, but obviously I don't know if the price is comparative to the German one:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-FJ40-Landcruiser-2f-4-2/143335153250

Mechanically the 40s are very strong and reliable but the body worm has always been the enemy. If you do go and see the German one also check the windscreen surround and the inside bottom of the front valance which are the other two areas that get the worm.

IMO it also worth checking Tony's out as he is very knowledgeable and will tell you exactly what's been done - even though it is a left hooker

Regards,

Rodger

20190729_104654[4300].jpg

The one in germany is 6500 ,I am going next week to have a look, if nothing else to put my mine at rest .

Back