the shower, "honey, what do you think the neighbours would think if I mowed
the lawn like this?" "Probably that I married you for your money," she
replied.
Just for you Pat.
"It's just too hot to wear clothes today," Jack says as he stepped out of
the shower, "honey, what do you think the neighbours would think if I mowed
the lawn like this?" "Probably that I married you for your money," she
replied.
love it.No one can see our house we are way off the road and there is nothing better than watering the plants with our natural flow.Got caught once ,two Jehovah witness's walked a few hundred yards up our drive and the dogs never gave any warning.

This led to me browsing some of the firewood prepping machines on Utoob... another hour lost :doh:

Some great kit available if you were running one commercially... :icon-biggrin:

love it.No one can see our house we are way off the road and there is nothing better than watering the plants with our natural flow.Got caught once ,two Jehovah witness's walked a few hundred yards up our drive and the dogs never gave any warning.
Sounds like your dogs need more training Pat :laughing-rolling:

Did a bit of firewood splitting and stacking over the weekend…
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Took a video but cannot find how to upload it :-( @Crispin help!

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Is that electric powered ?

No Pat, the grey box behind has a two cylinder Kubota Z600 diesel engine in it driving a variable displacement pump. From memory it puts out around 20 litres a minute variable at up to 3500 psi giving 13 tonnes of splitting force. :):smilingimp:

No Pat, the grey box behind has a two cylinder Kubota Z600 diesel engine in it driving a variable displacement pump. From memory it puts out around 20 litres a minute variable at up to 3500 psi giving 13 tonnes of splitting force. :):smilingimp:

It looks a nice little unit and does it make much noose when going?
Also just thinking about the difference to mine ,would it be possible to mount it vertically?

Good stuff sc, i used to get back ache with a low horizontal splitter..

still havnt started getting mine in, really need to get a move on once things settle down.

do they dry well enough in that shed?

It looks a nice little unit and does it make much noose when going?
Also just thinking about the difference to mine ,would it be possible to mount it vertically?
Thanks Pat. All home built (well, OK, I designed it and put it together and got the splitter parts machined and welded). The enclosure it's in I have designed to keep the noise down, and although it's not bad, it could be better. Think of a small excavator for comparison. I used an exhaust from one of the Kippor generators but it really could do with being much better as it puffs quite a bit.

The good bit about it being horizontal is you can heave big rounds onto it and the V base keeps them central. You ideally need at least one square cut end to minimise the twist on the push plate. It would need to be rebuilt really to work vertically but those I've seen look good with much reduced effort.

One day I will put a table extension on the end to save bending down for the large quarters that need re splitting.

Good stuff sc, i used to get back ache with a low horizontal splitter..

still havnt started getting mine in, really need to get a move on once things settle down.

do they dry well enough in that shed?
Thanks CG. I think I would get back ache with whatever way it worked, but there are pros and cons with all of them I think.

That shed has only just been built as a log store with 5mm gaps between the boarding. That was its first fill so we shall see how it gets on. We used to just toss logs into a 6' X 8' old shed and they dried out OK in there over a year. That lot was Monterey pine and was very sappy with loads of resin. It will probably burn too well. The cones certainly burned well :). Hopefully the log store will dry it out ok. We get a fair bit of wind here so hopefully it will be ok. If not I can always space the boards out a bit more as they are all screwed on for strength.

How about a video of it chuffing away.

Thanks CG. I think I would get back ache with whatever way it worked, but there are pros and cons with all of them I think.

That shed has only just been built as a log store with 5mm gaps between the boarding. That was its first fill so we shall see how it gets on. We used to just toss logs into a 6' X 8' old shed and they dried out OK in there over a year. That lot was Monterey pine and was very sappy with loads of resin. It will probably burn too well. The cones certainly burned well :). Hopefully the log store will dry it out ok. We get a fair bit of wind here so hopefully it will be ok. If not I can always space the boards out a bit more as they are all screwed on for strength.
True. I only have to look at a log nowadays and my back starts aching..

How about a video of it chuffing away.
I'd love to Chas but I've no idea how to upload one and seeing as Crispin is busy pulling his hair out with his server, I don't expect to be putting anything up soon. :think:

I'd love to Chas but I've no idea how to upload one and seeing as Crispin is busy pulling his hair out with his server, I don't expect to be putting anything up soon. :think:
You can upload to Youtoob and post the link I think it can also be done by Photobucket. Yes I suppose Crispin has a lot on his hands at the moment.

You can upload to Youtoob and post the link I think it can also be done by Photobucket. Yes I suppose Crispin has a lot on his hands at the moment.
It used to be so easy in Tapatalk. I know it's now the stuff of Satan for the techs but I guess I'm just a bit loathed to learn Photobucket or youtoob just now. Maybe I'll get there one day but I guess I've got my heels dug in at the moment.

I find youtube easier than photbucket, there's no adverts jumping all over the screen, no video popping up with annoying volume you can't directly turn off until you get the skip option (you have to mute the PC) and no pop up screens when you do skip the advert.

you can sign into youtube with a google account, in fact I think you need one to do so; once you're signed up go to your page and click upload, then go away for a very long time :icon-lol: but leave the upload window open and stay signed into google, or it'll stop uploading. Once it's on youtube they do their own encoding, which can take ages too, but at least they send you an email when it's ready to publish, then you can click publish and share the link.

One of my laning vids took 19 hours to upload, another 5 hours to process, it was over two hours long tho! I've got one uploading atm, started at about 4pm, it's now got 6% of it :sad-bored:

I have wood guilt looking at your pile Rich, huge pile outside our place needs processing :chores-chopwood:

Yes, the log store itself was scrap wood donated for burning (a machine crate)… I just found a better use for it. The back of the house had about three pallet loads up to 4 foot yielded that lot and there's about half as much again round the front on the donation pile. :lol::chores-chopwood:

My logs, just filled 3 of them, not all chopped by me though. (yet)

3628FDCD-54AD-4B23-B873-C82C47B1D7C9_zpsaqhnjzyy.png

Reactions: Pat
Hmmm, I like those log stores. Are they pallet based and movable?

Back