Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Great looking 80 but £7500, really?

lol, when I click on the cat c link, I get cat food! :laughing-rolling:

And it was only 5 years old when insurance wrote it off :wtf: must have been some serious damage , explains why he says its not very comfortable at motorway speeds because its jacked up and the wind gets under it and lifts the truck :laughing-rolling: honestly thats what he said

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Im sposed to be on my way there now but wont be going my 90 insurance cost about a grand and a cat c would likley double it in the unlikley event they would cover me at all .

Why would a cat c write off make a substantial increase to the insurance premium? The vehicle should be road worthy post repair, as it would have needed to have been re MOT'd, the only difference I forsee on the insurance is the vehicles value, as if it has been written off before, they will value it less than an equivalent vehicle which hasn't been written off in its past.

Poor stability at speed? Something not quite right there, without looking at it it's difficult to know whether that's down to poor modifications or not. The spray liner looks nice around the bottom half, something I've been interested in doing but I've never had an 80 that needed tidying up around the bottom half.

With the write off, stability issues and rear locker U/S there's plenty of opportunity for negotiation.

Theres no reason for it other than insurance companies are blood sucking leeches , many wont touch formally written off cars so those that do dont need to be competitive . beware lots of stories online and mentions of a tv documentary about insurers taking your money but refusing to pay out for claims when cat c is involed .

Last edited:
Theres no reason for it other than insurance companies are blood sucking leeches , many wont touch formally written off cars so those that do dont need to be competitive . beware lots of stories online and mentions of a tv documentary about insurers taking your money but refusing to pay out for claims when cat c is involed .
I've not come across that before, but it has been a few years since I have insured a 'cat' registered car. In the past I have reinsured a car with the same insurer post a (non fault) claim, after the car involved had been written off with only a small amount of damage.

I wonder if the refusal to payout at claim time stories are due to the cars 'cat' status not being declared when the insurance policy was taken out, and only coming to light at claim time, giving the insurance company the perfect excuse not to payout? We all know they like a reason not to payout.

Seems a bit of a twisted set up , Insurers are supposed to ask if anything specific is important to them and may effect your cover and I've never seen an online form that says "has the car been written off before" and regardless if it has been an insurance write off then its on their own database already no doubt so there's no need to ask . Of course I'm only going on what I read last night following a history check on the truck above . Seems to me if you can resurrect a model T Ford what can't you repair and as long as its passed the relevant inspection it should be fine , but that's common sense and there's no profit in common sense for insurance companies .

Bit ott price wise....but....if Julian would recomend it then thats proper peace of mind.

Lack of turbo - would that be a bit sluggish? depends what the roads are like where youre going.

Certainly far less to go wrong.

I didn't give it more than a glance to be honest though I might have looked closer if I was heading for Africa .

Never had an issue with a cat c and insurance, bought quite a few cat c write offs, repaired them and put back on the road.
Saved me a fortune over the years including repairs.

The wife had a pug 206 which I put a boot floor, both 1/4 panels, rear axle etc on, about 6 month after I repaired it someone pulled out on her and hit the passenger side 1/4 and door. The insurance paid to repair it!! Had no end of issues with the shoddy shop they sent it too though, idiots didn't get the 1/4 on right so door didn't line up!! Made them re do it and went back for poor paint a few times.

Back