Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Ground Tents..........whats your advice..?

sae70

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
uk
Been looking @ buying myself a ground tent so I can come along & join in some weekend fun :)

Never owned a tent, never slept in a tent, never really looked @ a tent in any detail....... :oops: But it is time :D

Now I'm thinking about a 2/3 person sized item so I can have my son come with me should he wish & still have room to do my knitting, but not be so big that if I'm by myself it's like sitting in the middle of a bonded warehouse :) I also fancy the idea of having a porch area to sit in should the need arise :think:

Been looking @ these :arrow:

Vango Omega 350 http://www.vango.co.uk/tents/omega-350.html

images?q=tbn:ykKa6Y-KsmJsQM:.jpg

Or maybe this :arrow:

Vango Tempest 300 http://www.vango.co.uk/tents/tempest-300.html

images

I have no real rhym nor reason for these except that I thought they looked good :? :thumbup: :thumbdown:

I'm also considering a double blow up mattress to lay my tiered old bones down on while I'm inside my nice new posh tent :think: :?:

What advice do you guys have with regards tents & mattresses :?: What have you used over the years & what would you not use again or what you you go out & buy now if you were going to buy one :?:

I await with baited breath :D

Attachments

• images?q=tbn:ykKa6Y-KsmJsQM:.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ykKa6Y-KsmJsQM:.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 115
Oh Steven. You really shouldn't have posted this. It could run longer than that bloody word association thread.

I have been camping since I was in short trousers and I still have my very first tent! I probably have half a dozen tents, all get used and all have different attributes. Tents are now pretty cheap but in my view, they are not what they were. All made in China and to a price. Anyone who remembers the Vango Force ten will know what a quality tent felt like. Modern materials are without doubt far better. But something has been lost. I currently have two Vangos. A Beta 450 and a Banshee 200. The Banshee is the same range that you are looking at really and I have to say are probably best of the bunch in many respects.

What do I look for in a tent?

Size, ease of set up, sleeping area, storage space. Ahh the list is endless and 30 odd years of trial and error. Truth is that if you are back packing many things matter. If you are in a truck, they don't 'cos you can lug it with you. All I can say is that your first tent, like your first woman, won't be your last. Forget blow up mattresses, they are for amateurs. Cold air - cold bed. Go for either a cot to get you off the ground or one of these self inflating insulated sleeping mats. they are ridiculously good. Make sure that the tent is big enough to set up a bed in. Go to an exhibition or big tent place where you can get inside them and lay down

Want to see a quality modern tent. Check these out. They have been making tents for over a thousand years.

http://www.robertsaunders.co.uk/pages/frame.html

Chris

Hi,
For a tent, my view is to go slightly bigger than you need, for 2 people, dont get a 2 man. Never enough room. I have an oztent,which is great, plenty of room, I can stand up in it, and an awning built in,which can become another room. Great to back your cruiser under, for shelter.

http://www.boab.biz/oztent_home.htm

There are so many out there, first off decide on budget, and how much you think you will use it.

For a mattress, check out exped, they are down filled and very comfy, but again you get what you pay for.

http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/exped_downma ... dle=116942

I camp a lot in the colder months, and dont like being cold, so this is the top end of mattresses.

For warmer weather, a cot type bed is quite comfy too, and always get a good sleeping bag.

I've seen a lot of people with insufficient camping gear, who have bad nights under canvas, so it puts them off. Get good gear and you will love it.

A top option for all year round is a tipi and log burner, the list is endless.

Hope i have helped rather than confuse!!!!!

Cheers.

Chris said:
Anyone who remembers the Vango Force ten will know what a quality tent felt like.
I stopped reading after that phrase!!! I still have my sloping ridge Force 10 - I wonder if mum & dad still have the orange full hit version that preceded it...

I really really really want one of those Ray Mears style Prospector tents with a stove inside. Just canvas, no groundsheet. That and the woods, my axe and the storm kettle. A copy of Club from 1992 with Miss Lusardi and I'd be made.

C

Come along on one of the next trips, i have a load of spare stuff as i'm sure others do, you can have a look around what others have and who knows......you might spend one night in a tent and say never again ;)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
As far as the mattress is concerned, defintitely go for mats. As Chris says, the air inside them is cold in winter. There is a wide range of hi tec mats to choose from - these are not the foam roll up mats of old. Also sharing a double blow up mattress is not much fun - you get bounced around everytime the other person moves.

Gav Peter said:
Chris said:
Anyone who remembers the Vango Force ten will know what a quality tent felt like.
I stopped reading after that phrase!!! I still have my sloping ridge Force 10 - I wonder if mum & dad still have the orange full hit version that preceded it...
I wish I had carried on reading - is Saunders still making that space packer!!! That was my dream tent... OMG, so in trouble when I buy one of them as well!!! Must be more objective in future...

Ooh where does one start...tents the choice is endless. As mentioned if this is to go in and out the car and you don't intend hiking with it weights is not a problem. That said you don't want to lug a 4 man 25kg canvas tent in the car plus poles if it's for a night or 2 and is going to take ages to pitch. If you on your own or with a child think ease of use and can you pitch it on your own? For this I have a Vango equnox 400 with tension band system which has a 3000hh (hydrostatic head) the higher the number the more waterproof the tent. I would think for the uk anything above 2000 should be fine. The tent has a built in ground sheet so no nasty visitors durring the day or night. It's a great tent for just the 2 of us easy to pitch light weight and will withstand most if not all weather you can throw at it.

For longer stays we have a vango Icarus 500 which also has the tbs system, built in ground sheet but has a large seperste sleeping area and you are able to stand in it which is way underated after 2 days lying on yourback trying to change. The gear thing with this tent is you have space to cook in bad weather and can easily sit undercover and relax whilst it's raining outside. It also has various extensions you can buy to increase it's area which it great.

2 different tents for 2 different holidays. The list can go on as I also have a 4 man pop up tent which for 1 night in summer is great as it's up in 5 seconds and so long ad you look after it does a good job.

I have found airbeds in summer to be a great option and went for the Colman one which has 2 airchaimbers so when the wife moves it does not feel like I am at sea. As soon as it gets cool you have to either hit the ground and get a self inflaiting mat or go high and get a camp cot/bed. As the air in the aifbed gets very cold and you will regret it big time.

A good sleeping bag is well worth the investment and don't forget the pillow from home. So long as you buy good stuff first time you won't regret it.

Happy camping.

Tent, Tent i wish!!

A lean-to poncho shelter and a goretex bivi bag and you'll be right as rain.... :!:

Oh yes, thats a top tip...... pillow from home, i always do that and can go right to sleep. With a compression sack they pack really small.

Yep, still in business. Serious canvas these people. Oh yes, you will be mine.

On tent design, I would say then end entry is a pain in the ass. Especially if it's wet. Having a space to get into that you can get boots off, store kit etc that is NOT living space is good for a camping tent. Backpacking as I say is a different ball game. Side entry with an outdoor space, inside - what they call a tunnel is a good idea. The Tempest is not a tunnel tent and having to get down in the mud every time you want to go in and out past your kit is pretty annoying.

I have a Coleman tent which is nothing more than a shelter. Great tent, really, but not for camping in. You can't even get your shirt off inside - or put you boots on. But it weighs less than a tea bag and packs into a cigar case. I also have a family tent that weighs as much as a child but is really good if you are pitched for a couple of days.

If you are driving and camping, driving and camping, your requirements from the tent are quite minimal. Most of the gear stays in the truck and you slither into the bag about 1 in the morning after supping Gav's hooch. It's not like you need to sit in there playing Scrabble.

The Tempest looks pretty good. Pitching is an important feature too. If it takes 30 mins, you'll soon be brassed off. The Oz Tent is a very quick pitch.

Or a roof tent.......

Chris

Those ridge tents bring back some old memories :)

I have a spare tent similar to the 1st one you posted, maybe you should beg borrow or steal a few to try so you get a better idea what works?

If anyone wants to use Lincomb as a stop over for a laning weekend, or just a kit comparison weekend then lots could be compared. With all being seen in practice could help the decision.
Then there is also the accessories, camp stove,(gas or petrol) chairs,awnings, the list is endless.
I have an oztent, tipi with burner, and a khyam 2 man, plus lots of other stuff for starters.

Otherwise fit in into the next Lincomb,(post coming soon) but thats due beginning of May, possibly too late.

What do you think? just an idea.

Sounds good, Tony :thumbup: A "show n tell" of off-roading and camping equipment would be interesting for all, I am sure. And an opportunity for those that have it all to show off their wares :mrgreen:
I reckon fridges/freezers, stoves/cookers, bedding, tents, other accessories etc to be compared side by side would be a great addition to the event.

Cheers,

I've got three tents at the moment because the right one really depends on the situation.
One is a 700g, one man, like a coffin single skin tent;
IMG_0222.sized.jpg

the second a 4 man coleman one that is great but a faff to set up so only used when i'm camping for a few days at a time:
n682351054_1887046_1878.jpg

and the third is a really super TNF fat frog tent which I rate highly;
full_471_3.jpg

IMG_3937.sized.jpg

It doesn't rely on ground pegs for structural integrity so you can use it anywhere without the pegs
This means it's easier to put up in wind etc
And also means it can put up with strong winds when deployed
It's got an area that's not inside where you are but still protected from the elements, which as a biker, is essential because you dont want to sleep with your biking boots/jacket but nor get them wet (also for stoves etc)
It can be set up without the rain sheet so perfect for desert camping
It's only got four poles, three at a minimum and they're colour coded sensibly so even in very dark conditions you can tell what should go where
the zips aren't hopeless like many cheaper tents (where you get trapped in the damn thing)
it fits in a motorbike pannier and isn't crazy heavy (4kg iirc?)
it's orange like my bike and that makes it cool.

I have no problem spending ~£300 on a tent because if you use them, when you divide the total cost by the nights slept comfortably / easy setup, it's worth it. But it's hard to get the one that's right for you...

Attachments

• IMG_0222.sized.jpg
    IMG_0222.sized.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 102
  • n682351054_1887046_1878.jpg
    n682351054_1887046_1878.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 97
  • full_471_3.jpg
    full_471_3.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_3937.sized.jpg
    IMG_3937.sized.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 100
I have an Oztent and a Khyam Igloo.

The Oztent is very well made and very quick to put up and pack away, but expensive.

Another option is a http://www.caranex.co.uk/rangelist.html

Best picture I could find of a caranex fitted to the back of the 80, the owner loved it.

IMG_0967.jpg

I would also consider the popup tents.

Attachments

• IMG_0967.jpg
    IMG_0967.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 155
Back