Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Headlamp Upgrade

Jvertigo

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have an upgrade alternative for these headlights?

They are currently the original chunky glass lenses, I’m looking for a sealed unit LED upgrade. See pics below for currently installed & ones that I would like to try & find….

Attachments

• B7DB76F9-2594-4640-AABF-209ED735AC2C.jpeg
    B7DB76F9-2594-4640-AABF-209ED735AC2C.jpeg
    160.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 5E309DF2-FCD8-4AC7-9B4E-77DFDAD1E96B.png
    5E309DF2-FCD8-4AC7-9B4E-77DFDAD1E96B.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 29
  • 5B3C076D-87A3-4533-9CDE-9ECA53F9FAAA.jpeg
    5B3C076D-87A3-4533-9CDE-9ECA53F9FAAA.jpeg
    281.2 KB · Views: 28
I know there are plenty about but I am not sure how they will be received by the MOT station? They are not allowed here in Spain more about not being 'original'. You might get away with them if the are 'E' marked, but so much has changed in testing stations here in the Spain and I gather in the UK?

If you are more about the 'look' then give it ago, if you simply want better headlamps to see with (80 dipped beam is very poor on our twisting country lanes) then you can get Halogen bulbs with a higher rating? In mine I think they are 80/100 watts as opposed to the 45/55 (I think) with the stock bulbs?

Regards

Dave

Thanks Dave. Another member posted a link to a headlight shop, but I wasn’t able to find a compatible bulb (yet).
It’s simply for brightness not a ‘look’. I had also heard that the fancy big LED lamps were frowned upon & potentially being made illegal by the UK government as a retro-fit.

Why complete light units not just bulbs? I've just fitted LED bulbs to my '96 '80 and the difference is night and day (!).
The only downsides are - they're not strictly legal (I'll pop the halogens back in for the MOT and take my chances with the rozzers), and the standard bulb-seals dont fit so headlights will fill with water if wading (but I don't really do that so no probs)
Bulbs came from Autobulbs direct who were really helpful - the H7's needed a bit of adjustment to get the beam pattern right

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Philips do 150% and more brighter bulbs , all i had to do was lower beam with the factory screw so as not to dazzle oncoming traffic .

My preference is the bulb change they are more fit and forget.

Regards

Dave

I put aftermarket LED lamps in original units, which made a massive difference. Keep your originals for that one day a year...

Mine's got through 2 MOT's now with LED bulbs in the OEM headlamp units. Just make sure the beams are within spec.

Phillips Osram and Sylvannia do road legal leds with the required cut offs and E mark just have to find the right size fitment

Back