Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Headlights switch UK to Europe

Bern78

Hi All,
Having completed my trans-African adventure and
the '94 LC coming through like a champ, I now need to import the UK reg right
hand drive to France, where I live. (Unless I, very sadly, sell it to a UK buyer)

In order to pass the French CT (UK
MOT equivalent) I need to convert the headlights (just the temporary beam
reflecting stickers won't suffice).

Any idea if I can just fit the
headlamp units made for a European left hand drive cruiser on a UK right hand
drive cruiser? Or not that easy?

They seem to go for around 130euro a
side.
Is that what I am looking for?

Cheers!

I had a quick look here but it looks like they only have lights for L/H drive?
I think this is where I got my Collie Lights
Steve

I had a quick look here but it looks like they only have lights for L/H drive?
I think this is where I got my Collie Lights
Steve

Yes, I saw these, the question then is would I be able to fit these L/H drive lights on a R/H drive vehicle to ensure the beams are pointed in the right direction? Or is this there something simpler, like just asking a garage to tweak the beam direction?
Cheers!

No problem to fit the LHD lights, then its just a question of doing the alignment same as always. Some newer cars can be converted at the flick of a switch now.

Thanks yogi, so just to confirm, I'll need to fit the LHD lights AND adjust the beams, not just ajust the beams?

no the light is designed to go the wrong way and there isn't enough adjustment to take it out.
fyi some head light you can take aprt and turn to change them from lhd to rhd or the other way round if you need to.
stu

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
While looking into blacked out headlights i read that many actually put the headlights in a kitchen oven so they can be prized apart , they then paint the silver reflective backing black and glue the unit back together . Perhaps if you can get hold of some broken headlights you could just swap the internals using the same method ?

Interesting Shayne, I am bound to screw that up though. I tend to be the sucker who buys the part and let pro's fit them. I have 10 thumbs when it comes to these things.

Thanks Stumog, so basically buy the full LHD light sets and fit them?

ben that's right bite the bullet.

Shane if you paint the silver reflector part back are you not in effect making your headlights worse?
stu

Shane if you paint the silver reflector part back are you not in effect making your headlights worse?
stu

Of course you are Stumog thats why its a mod that has never made its way into the 4x4 world , boy racers do it to their 1000cc Fiats and the like just because of the way it looks . Low profile tyres , lowered suspension and all of that actually make their cars worse but they believe its cool . What can i say ......... paint a stripe on your car and it will go faster :wtf:

ok I though I was missing some thing.
by the way do you mean you havnt lower your cruiser like everyone else?

bern

Is your LC a UK-spec model, or was it a japan market model imported into the UK?

Reason I ask is that the jap market headlights dont have the same beam deflection as UK models, but will pass an mot and should also be ok for the french test.

Pete

Wont pass unless 'E' marked - Frenchies love 'E' marks and 'conformity'

No Jap import will be registered here unless all glass is changes, seat belts changed, manufacturer confirms it complies to EU specs etc etc No 'E' mark = no coc (Cert of conformity) Just another French red tape thing!
Steve

Mine has E13 on them, but as Im not the first UK owner i dont know if they have already been changed.

Pete

Back