Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Heat Shot, the after-market heated windscreen washer system

Another source may be a commercial vehicle breakers yard. Articulated lorry tractor units have some form of heaters for sleeper cab variants. These may be diesel powered.

Roger

Hi Jon.

I think Karl has fitted an eberspacher warm air blower to keep his dogs warm?

Fitting a eberspacher with warm air and then piping it into your roof top tent with a thermostat to kick in at "x" degrees would be a nice way to winter camp ;)

i've been toying with driving into the arctic circle and looked at plumbing in a Webasto thermo top into the engine block and leave that running all night circulating warm water - would keep truck engine from freezing up and be a lot more fuel efficient than leaving the landcruiser engine running on a fast idle all night.

Also in general for getting engine up to temp in the morning i would think there would be a lot less wear on components since its no longer a true cold start, and driving off on an already warm engine should be more thermally efficient in terms of fuel usage.

--

Hi Roger - yes commercial vehicle breakers would be a great resource i would think.

Hi Jon.

I think Karl has fitted an eberspacher warm air blower to keep his dogs warm?

Fitting a eberspacher with warm air and then piping it into your roof top tent with a thermostat to kick in at "x" degrees would be a nice way to winter camp ;)

i've been toying with driving into the arctic circle and looked at plumbing in a Webasto thermo top into the engine block and leave that running all night circulating warm water - would keep truck engine from freezing up and be a lot more fuel efficient than leaving the landcruiser engine running on a fast idle all night.

Also in general for getting engine up to temp in the morning i would think there would be a lot less wear on components since its no longer a true cold start, and driving off on an already warm engine should be more thermally efficient in terms of fuel usage.

--

Hi Roger - yes commercial vehicle breakers would be a great resource i would think.

Summer driving in Norway is OK, even all the way to the North Cape. Winter driving is an all new ball park. Christmas at Kirkenes saw the temp. down to -40deg.C. Taxi drivers leave engines running all day. Hotels above Stockholm all have facilities for you to plug in your engine block heaters. Same system in Norway. Up at these latitudes the people know how to cope.

Roger

I am coming round to the thought of a heater for the bottle. A "T" plumbed into the heater hose and a suitable return would allow a flow of hot water through a copper coil in the bottle.

I'll get back to you.

Roger

Can't remember who had the camper trailer at Lincomb (Derek??) but he had a 5kw Webasto heater in there - toasty!!

Not much use for the washer fluid and keeping the windscreen clear though :lol:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Not much use for the washer fluid and keeping the windscreen clear though :lol:
Combined with the type of washer line or bottle heaters already discussed it would give you easy defrosting and warm washer fluid. Bit more expensive than a Heat Shot though! Heat for the tent would be nice, might be able to convince the girls to ditch the caravan then.

I built a heat exchanger that, for test purposes sat inside the washer bottle via the fill hole. It worked well, the washer fluid was heated to a decent enough temperature but eventually I restored the system back to my original idea of heat on demand.

Basically I didn't see the need to go that far. With a decent antifreeze mix in the bottle and the in-line heater, the only extra that I might consider would be heated washer jets. Ford do them for a number of their models, so I might pop into Bristol Street for a browse.

Roger

Saab's of old had a heater hose with a blown up section that your squirter water passed through. 99 & 900 had them for sure iirc

Quick google reveals it was an optional extra in the UK

washer1.jpg

Last edited:
Heat for the tent would be nice, might be able to convince the girls to ditch the caravan then.

I use one of those 12v fan heater demisters, warms the Maggi up nicely. :thumbup:

I had a Heat Shot fitted last week along with a set of those three holed nozzles.
Brilliant !
Windscreen has never been so clean.
:icon-biggrin:
I'll ley you know how it performs over the coming winter months.
but so far, really easy to fit and very effective.

Yep - fitted one for me and SWMBO as got them at 1/2 price on special - excellent bit of kit

I think Gary got them at Scotland 4x4 (or 4x4 Scotland, they have an ebay page selling them at £95).
Thats where I got mine anyway.

Sorry, yes I got them from Billy Neish at Scotland 4x4 (I think I posted the link earlier on). Dunno if the special is still on - you can try ;)

I think Gary got them at Scotland 4x4 (or 4x4 Scotland, they have an ebay page selling them at £95).
Thats where I got mine anyway.

They're £112 at the moment from them.

HeatShot runs at 125F which is OK I suspect on the modern tempered glass - can't see an American company opening themselves up to litigation! I suspect the water is somewhat cooler by the time it passes through the air in a droplet form and gets to the windshield. Still very effective at what it does.

B0034GW1WW.02.lg_.jpg

I have had my washer heater for a couple of years now. This morning was -3 deg.C and no problems. I am in the process of making a heater for Vivs Shogun. Details to follow.

Roger

The latest two heat exchangers. The straight one is a spare and the curved one will be fitted into the Shogun.

Roger

PC190001_zps0aea8556.jpg

Back