Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Heat Shot, the after-market heated windscreen washer system

Nice work there Roger - might have to make a couple of those myself to replace the current set up of plastic tubing coils wrapped around the heater hose.

Very clever ideas. Having not attempted this kind of thing before, could you possibly draw a "numpty" diagram to show how the heat exchanger would be plumbed in to the system. I'm guessing the main feed would from the heating pipe would pass through the exchanger and continue on its merry way. It's the feed from the washer that I'm a tad confused with. is the microbore (feed from the waterbottle) just making a loop through and out again (which would make sense) and then carry on to the washer jets?

If so would there be much heat in the water by the time it reached the jets? I may be well off target but I'm sure you clever folks will be able to set my brain on the right track. :doh:

It does sound plausible though and a far better option than more electronics under the bonnet.

The HE is plumbed into one of the heater hoses. The hose into the heater will be running at a higher temp. than the outlet, but I don't think this will make much difference. The idea is that warm/warmer/hot water is better than cold/colder/freezing water.

The hose from the washer bottle via the pump is split/extended with the hose going in/out of the HE. As your car heater is designed to operate as soon as possible from a cold start up, the water in the heater hose quickly heats the water in the HE. That's the first part of the science. The now heated water in the HE remains there until needed. Heat soak from this heated water will flow in both directions i.e. back towards the water bottle and onwards towards the washer jets. This helps as the further the HE is from the jets, the greater the heat lose as the water flows in the washer hoses. On mine, once the system is fully warmed, you get bubbles coming out of the jets (this is without using the washers). Once this has happened, warmed water is available even when you just give it a quick squirt. There is a transitional period between water from the heater hoses being hot enough to heat water in the HE and water being heated all the way to the jets. In this scenario, you will need to give a longer squirt to make certain that the heated water in the HE gets all the way out to the jets.

The temperature of the water getting onto the screen is dependent on a number of factors incl. temp. in heater hose, ambient temp. and therefore under bonnet temp. length of hose from HE to jets and heat lose in the system. What I can tell you is it works and if Saab supplied/supplies them for there motors, they must do so for a reason.

Once I have fitted one in the Shogun, the spare will be for sale.

Roger

Roger

Heat soak from this heated water will flow in both directions i.e. back towards the water bottle and onwards towards the washer jets.

Excellent description Roger. I can see it all clearly now. Sometimes my old brain just takes a bit of a kickstart to get moving properly.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
As a matter of interest, does anyone know of a source for a non-return valve for a windscreen washer system? On Vivs motor, the tank is so low that most of the water in the pipework drains back into the bottle.

Roger

Halfords do them. Little blister pack, couple of quid.

Chris

The latest two heat exchangers. The straight one is a spare and the curved one will be fitted into the Shogun.

Roger

PC190001_zps0aea8556.jpg

If anyone else is interested I'm not now having Rogers spare one.

Sorry guys, when Chas said he was no longer interested, I passed it to my neighbour for fitting in his Sierra.

Roger

Last edited:
Yep - fitted one for me and SWMBO as got them at 1/2 price on special - excellent bit of kit

Hi Gary
I still find that my nozzles are frozen and the heatshot is not blasting it clear.
How does yours work? Does it clear a frozen nozzle?
I need to change to a better screen wash, but I was also wondering about using some heat tape or silicon heat pad directly under the nozzle that I could operate by a switch.
Equally well, I could just poor boiling water onto the nozzle at the start of the journey.

Not had it cold enough to freeze in Edi - drenched yes frozen no ... We're going up towards the Trossachs next week so that should help test it out!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ford also fit heated jets to various models. They are wired directly into the ignition and are on all the time (whilst you are driving). It's just a matter of finding some that will fit the hole in the bonnet.

Roger

Isnt that what Dremels were invented for? :p

I used needle files when I fitted the triple jet, hi-lux jets. :icon-wink:

One of my favourite mods the hi-lux jets. Clears the screen so much better! :dance:

I used needle files when I fitted the triple jet, hi-lux jets. :icon-wink:

One of my favourite mods the hi-lux jets. Clears the screen so much better! :dance:

Ford also fit heated jets to various models. They are wired directly into the ignition and are on all the time (whilst you are driving). It's just a matter of finding some that will fit the hole in the bonnet.

Roger

Yeah, been looking at those on ebay.
But I only just fitted a set of those lovely triple jets (which are ace by the way :thumbup:) and would like to keep them.

Think I'll persevere, just try some proper -20 screen wash, the stuff I have has to be the culprit, cheap forecourt multi buy.
I'll see how that works out and take it from there.
:obscene-drinkingdr:

Back