Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Heating Fan - 1986 13BT

jdlsalle

Country Flag
canada
Hi,

I'm really new at this, so bare with me.

I have a 86 Landcruiser, desiel, 13BT engine. My heating fan is not strong enough in the winter time to defrost my windshield when it hits -30C. Only when I'm on the highway will it defrost, but it takes a long time. Does anyone know where I can get a stronger fan? or if anyone knows an alternative?

thanks,
Josh

Do you have a thermostat fitted?

Sounds like its stuck in the open position - does the truck temp heat up ok in the winter?

Pete

Just to add, Ive never been anywhere that has been -30, even Norway wasnt that cold!

Yes.

It heats up great in the winter, but anything colder than -20C the fan takes a long time to defrost my windshield. The problem is that is doesn't blow hard enough, even when I have it cranked on high.

Josh

During the winter I get -20C for at least 2 months during the winter.

So basically the blower isn't powerful enough to get the hot air out, but the hot air is hot enough?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
-20 for 2 months?

You dont need a better heater, you need to move to somewhere warmer !

Do you use a block heater overnight, to keep everything warm?

You are putting the lever to recirculate?

Pete

Yes and yes. I can have a Blocker heater. It works very well, but when I start driving, my windshield gets all fogged up, even when I've been driving for 5 mins.

The fog x is for the inside. The rain x is outside but not great on wind shield imo.
The company is rain x and make both products if that makes sense!!

Maybe the blower motor and controls are on their way out. The different power settings for the fan usually incorporate some resistors which could be suspect. How difficult is it to remove and cleanout the fan and service the motor?

Is there any smell of antifreeze when you have the heater on?

I'm wondering if the misting up is antifreeze vapour.

Is there an air filter on the aircon that could be full of crud?

There's no smell that I know of and I haven't noticed if there is any vapours.

There's an aftermarket air filter that looks like it may need to be cleaned. I'll get back you to you on that one.

thanks again.

I haven't yet investigated the thought of trying to take out the motor as of yet. But there is no obvious reduce in power when I turn the fan on.

Yes.

Firstly, screen would be wet, but the giveaway is its greasy cos its got AF in it.

What model LC is it?

Pete

You need to service the whole mechanism, its common in older cars for the actual power of the system to reduce over time. That's why I asked my original question !

If you are having issues with your blower Motor not operating as fast as you think here is a few troubleshooting ideas you may want to try.

1 blower motor does not operate on all speed settings, suspect the blower resistor, it is cheep and easy to replace

2 faulty or weak grounds, the ground for the blower, and other components as well, is located on the inner side of the passenger wheel well just forward of the EFI resistor, not the one from the battery. Remove the bolt and check for dirt and rust, if any clean and reattach. I've thought about running a separate ground from the switch to the body, this would provide a more direct and stronger ground for the high speed function.

3 worn out brushes in blower motor. Replace brushes or blower motor.

4 worn blower switch creating too high of resistance, remove and clean or replace if too badly worn.

The way the blower speed control works is by creating resistance through the ground on low, med1 and med2, on high speed there should be a direct path from ground to the blower. The blower has 12 VDC from the blower relay as soon as the blower speed switch is switched to on, so you should always see 12vdc with a varying resistance on the ground side.

Back