Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Heating Fan - 1986 13BT

Well that's a copy and paste job from something I looked up for a car with a similar problem a while ago, except mine was so bad it couldn't even demist the window when it was about -1C, so it was a lot worse than yours.

Turned out it was dirty contacts, but I never figurered out where because I took the connections apart and cleaned them all.

That was the next set of (maybe) less obvious steps.

It sounds to me to be a mixture of the two, maybe.

Although my engine was warming up OK as far as I knew, the water in the heater circuit was vey slow to get up to effective temperature.

After changing the thermostat, there was a big difference. The heater circuit came up to temperature within minutes (I didn't count them but much quicker than before) and even after opening, the thermostat kept the heater circuit hot, instead of releasing the relatively cool water from around the engine and in the radiator tanks.

It also sounds as though the fan isn't getting up to effective speed. I have the same problem, where full speed is barely half what it should be, which is probably a contacts/cleaning issue that I haven't tackled yet.

Not suffering -30 C means less incentive to fix it, it's -5 C this morning. There is potential for much colder before the winter is out, but -20 C is about the lowest we get, for a week or so!

Back