Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hello everyone and newbee after buying advice please on a LC80 Amazon.

Bodhi

Country Flag
wales
Hello everyone, I'm looking to change from a LR Freelander 2 to an LC 80.

Not that I'm not happy with the LR but there is just no boot space now Junior has arrived ;-)

So I have decided on an LC 80 Amazon and would like advice on one that I have seen advertised locally at a dealer. I had a very quick look at it on the forecourt and it seems quite clean.
What I know so far is that it is Blue on an R plate, manual, cream leather, 1 owner from new, full service history with 180,000 ish on the clock. Truck seems standard and pretty clean inside as well. Cam belt has been changed around the 160k mark apparently.

It was up for £6999 but now I see that it has been dropped to £6000.

What do you guys think on the price?

From looking on here I know to make sure the diff locks work, check for oil on the knuckles, water around the passenger foot well, rust around the rear window, dropping gears down into second,but is there anything else apart from checking for other leaks and that all electrics etc work that I should be looking for? I don't mind having to replace stuff but initially I'll only have about £800 to spend on getting stuff sorted so don't want to be left with a big bill straight off the bat. I don't think there would be the chance have a look in the diff for grease but am I right in thinking that if there is oil on the knuckle then there is the possibility of grease in the diff?

Any help from you guys would be appreciated

Cheers

Richie

First step is to probably post a link to it or give more details about it's location- chances are one of us has probably already seen it. Failing that there is loads of info on here ... just browse around and you'll find it.

Price seems pretty much right for a 1997 - last year of the 80 series, some were stickered up as Amazons. Presume its a UK not an import - should have front and rear lockers.

Great vehicle, should pull like a train with the 4.2 manual from 1400 ish RPM on (they lag until the turbo spins up, unless tweaked). Will make your Freelander feel like a toy. Be careful re the electrics and anything non-standard - especially alarm systems. Look out for water in the front footwells too. Otherwise, you've listed the main points.

Who's the local dealer - someone on here may know them. There are good and bad out there!!!

Thanks Guys I can't post links it would seem until I have posed 15 times.

But if you google Moston Garage Chester it's on their site. Maybe someone could have a look and post the link if possible.

Cheers

Richie

Oh .. and hello and welcome!

No worries Dave.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks Dave, been lurking long enough, just need a truck now ;-)

That's the chap, any thoughts, well as far as you can get from the ad? Don't know if anyone has knowledge of this one?
It says 1998 does that mean that it is a very late 80 or should it say 97?

Sounds closer to £2k to get it up to scratch ... not counting the paint work.

Cheers Dave just seen the write up. Don't think they would drop 2k so I guess the search continues hey. ;-) Bugger it was so near as well

To be fair - if you could get them down £1k and it drives okay, then you're half way there. £5k is a cheap cruiser...

I may go and try and get a test drive if only to get a feel for how they drive. I don't mind having to do stuff on the truck as I want to kern more about them, just worried about biting off more that I can chew.

I may go and try and get a test drive if only to get a feel for how they drive. I don't mind having to do stuff on the truck as I want to kern more about them, just worried about biting off more that I can chew.

Good plan - test drive a few - at least you will start to understand what you're looking at first hand and what a good one and a bad one feel like. Expect the gearbox to be a bit agricultural, but not dreadful, may catch a bit into second at that mileage. Should pull like a train and feel very solid on the road. Be warned though - they are addictive ;-)

Good plan - test drive a few - at least you will start to understand what you're looking at first hand and what a good one and a bad one feel like. Expect the gearbox to be a bit agricultural, but not dreadful, may catch a bit into second at that mileage. Should pull like a train and feel very solid on the road. Be warned though - they are addictive ;-)

Haha from surfing through this forum for the last few weeks I'm being to see that!! Got to make the right choice or SWMBO won't be cuffed!! ;-)

Haha from surfing through this forum for the last few weeks I'm being to see that!! Got to make the right choice or SWMBO won't be cuffed!! ;-)
Cuffed or chuffed?!? Big difference!

Haha, best she doesn't see this or she will be not chuffed and I may find myself "cuffed" and probably stuffed!! lol

Hi Richie, welcome to the forum.

Changing from a Freelander 2 to an 80 will be quite a change, possibly a shock for the misses. Do you have a specific need for a 4x4 with solid axles front and rear? In your original post you mention that you are looking for more boot space due to an expanding family. If your planning on pretty much road use only, it might be wise to test drive a 100 series as well, so you can compare it to the 80.

The 100 has independent front suspension giving a more car like ride, something that you'll be used to with your current vehicle. You still get the fabulous 4.2TD engine and tonnes of space, but benefit from a newer vehicle design and more refinement.

80's are great and addictive (as mentioned earlier), but they are getting thin on the ground, and decent ones are even rarer. Whatever you buy will need work, some sellers think that they can ask strong money even if the truck is pretty rough, there are a lot of time wasters out there, and many trucks that have been bought washed and re advertised for another two grand on top.

The price range that you'll be looking at for a good late 80 should also see you in 100 series territory, the 100 series will be newer and possibly have led an easier life. I own an 80 and use it mainly for trips and driving on unsurfaced roads, but if I wanted a vehicle with the same interior size and engine for mainly road use, I would buy a 100 and benefit from the improved ride and handling.

When viewing 80's, look for rust above the windscreen, inside the arches and behind the front GRP wheel arch spats, they are getting to that age now where rust is starting to show.

Happy hunting.

Last edited:
Back