Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hello from Sheffield!

AndyMC

Country Flag
uk
Hi all,

Just found this site. As a very new (last week) Landcruiser owner I was very impressed to see what information was available here.

I have a 2005 LC4 D4D 120 which has done a little over a 100K miles.

I've already fitted some amateur radio equipment and I'm now looking at options to upgrade the 2DIN OEM head unit with one of the Android units with a facility of navigation, hands-free phone and reversing camera. If anyone has done that already, I'd be keen to hear thoughts on the pros and cons.

All the best

Andrew

Sheffield? Remind me is that in or out of Europe. The People's Republic of South Yorkshire has always been fiercely independent; and rightly so.

Welcome along.

Hi Chris,

Yes, I think that South Yorkshire would vote to leave the UK never mind the EU!

A:smile:

That's the ticket. Mind you, I wouldn't mind annexing Meadowhell. That place needs cutting adrift for sure.

No comment. This is a family forum. But I'm sure Chas will be along any moment :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Welcome to the forum Andy!

Yep this place is a mine of info and opinions.

Cant help you with a Android nav systems, I use my iPad :lol:

I did upgrade the radio with an inexpensive JVC DDin unit, it gives me USB music, Bluetooth to other devices, reverse camera and hands free phone. All easy to use and sounds ok too.

For navigating, I use my iPad with the Co-pilot AP for roads and streets and google earth for offroad navigation to see the used tracks. Works for me.

Welcome to the forum Andy!

Yep this place is a mine of info and opinions.

Cant help you with a Android nav systems, I use my iPad :lol:

I did upgrade the radio with an inexpensive JVC DDin unit, it gives me USB music, Bluetooth to other devices, reverse camera and hands free phone. All easy to use and sounds ok too.

For navigating, I use my iPad with the Co-pilot AP for roads and streets and google earth for offroad navigation to see the used tracks. Works for me.
Hi Clive,

I also use Co-Pilot with my Android Nexus 4 phone; a cheap alternative to a full-blown navi system. I like not having to run an internet connection on the move!

A

Andy from Sheffield, mmmmmmn , Welcome to the forum.

Andy, from Sheffield.

Hi Clive,

I also use Co-Pilot with my Android Nexus 4 phone; a cheap alternative to a full-blown navi system. I like not having to run an internet connection on the move!

A

Co-pilot works great for me (for 35 Euro I think I paid) and yes, carrying the maps onboard it's great not to need a connection, just access to the satellites is enough.

When offroad, Google can be a bit iffy when in the forests. Often the sim signal is low 'cos you're in a sparsely populated area and the trees screen you from the satellites.

But out on the open mountain, generally it all works rather well.

Co-pilot works great for me (for 35 Euro I think I paid) and yes, carrying the maps onboard it's great not to need a connection, just access to the satellites is enough.

When offroad, Google can be a bit iffy when in the forests. Often the sim signal is low 'cos you're in a sparsely populated area and the trees screen you from the satellites.

But out on the open mountain, generally it all works rather well.
.RO - That must be Romania; what a lovely country. I had occasion to be in the Ploiesti are a couple of years ago. Some very friendly people, too.

A

.RO - That must be Romania; what a lovely country. I had occasion to be in the Ploiesti are a couple of years ago. Some very friendly people, too.

A

Certainly is, and the people here do have a lovely attitude to life. I've made a lot of good friends in the 15 years I've been here.

Ploiesti is not the most beautiful town and its plagued by the stink of the oil refineries there, sadly.

Still it's a good landmark for me, half way between Bucharest (where we live and work all week) and our house in Comarnic (between Campina and Sinaia) in the mountains. That's our weekend retreat to relax and play :lol:

Certainly is, and the people here do have a lovely attitude to life. I've made a lot of good friends in the 15 years I've been here.

Ploiesti is not the most beautiful town and its plagued by the stink of the oil refineries there, sadly.

Still it's a good landmark for me, half way between Bucharest (where we live and work all week) and our house in Comarnic (between Campina and Sinaia) in the mountains. That's our weekend retreat to relax and play :lol:
Yes, the smell in Ploiesti was very distinctive!

A

Welcome Andy from another Sheffield native! I mounted my SW radio (head unit) in the roof above the RV mirror but can't help with the Android unit I'm afraid as I replaced my 2D OE CD/radio with a single Din radio/MP3 player.

Back