Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Help! Fuel tank

My RR fell off the jack and an axle stand went straight through the bottom of the tank! Easy repaired with fibreglass but if you have joints or corrosion to repair that would be difficult. Fibreglass still OK after 6 years when I sold it. Draining a tank to remove all traces of petrol is a bit risky as petrol/air mix is extremely explosive, better to leave a bit in.
I've had a petrol tank out of a Cherokee via a syphon pump because it was full of crud. Left it a few days to air out before sealing and refitting. Should be ok once all vapour is gone and it's completely dried out.

Well its cracked the tank!! Front towards the prop. Has a formed shape and has a little crack!!! Will siphon it later so safe to drive home.
May as well sorn it as few other jobs to do like diff pinion seal and make exhaust more socially acceptable

I gas welded a petrol tank years ago. I drained it, rinsed it with paraffin then blew a hair dryer through it for a couple of hours before welding it.

No issues.

As for draining it, it reminds me of when I brimmed my diesel tank with petrol by mistake in the early days of ownership. Of course I only realised when the truck spluttered to a standstill miles from anywhere in the dark and pouring rain.

Had to let the lot go into the sub-base on the roadside, still grieves me to this day :lol:

Found a uk supplier that does longranger products, waiting for a price on a bigger tank and if they can get one.

Turns out the filler has an anti siphon as can't get all the way into the tank so sender out to get some fuel out.

Bit of search on mud and seems to be a known issue with the tank cracking where it's formed!

If you decide to repair using heat, then an old trick to clear out petrol fumes is to drain in the normal way, then lay the tank opening against the exhaust of a running diesel engine, the diesel gases blowing into the tank not only dry it out but the mix makes the fuel vapour inert in about 20 minutes, it is safe to weld after that.

regards

Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thinking about repairs, there used to be a product that was a two part kit. A brown paste was painted over the crack or hole, then a white cloth was laid on top and then recoated with the brown 'stuff' which came in a glass jar. Worked great on a friend P100 after he drilled through the flat bed straight down into the top of the tank, can't remember the name, but petrol tank repairs are not that difficult and can be cheap compared to a replacement tank, these days all the tanks are plastic so repairs to metal tanks are rare.

regards

Dave

If you decide to repair using heat, then an old trick to clear out petrol fumes is to drain in the normal way, then lay the tank opening against the exhaust of a running diesel engine, the diesel gases blowing into the tank not only dry it out but the mix makes the fuel vapour inert in about 20 minutes, it is safe to weld after that.

regards

Dave

My diesel breathes fresh air Haha, spotless tailpipe!!

It's a good tip.

I'm going to try and source a larger tank if I can, if not I'll have the tank out to fully assess if worth a repair or just get another standard tank. Could see the crack with the endoscope and it stopped leaking after dripping enough out! Workshop was a little smelly.

Thinking about repairs, there used to be a product that was a two part kit. A brown paste was painted over the crack or hole, then a white cloth was laid on top and then recoated with the brown 'stuff' which came in a glass jar. Worked great on a friend P100 after he drilled through the flat bed straight down into the top of the tank, can't remember the name, but petrol tank repairs are not that difficult and can be cheap compared to a replacement tank, these days all the tanks are plastic so repairs to metal tanks are rare.

regards

Dave
It was called Petro patch Dave, used it a few times in the past with great success, very easy and effective, moulding to any shape. When I looked some while ago to repair a Jerry can, it was no longer available.

There plenty of products around Gary and first thoughts are a epoxy mix glue for cracks etc. Wielding is risky and a lot more involved to be concerned with.
Would be the first choice I would consider tbh.

Attachments

• 716DEC98-B783-458A-B5B3-D134A83A7694.png
    716DEC98-B783-458A-B5B3-D134A83A7694.png
    635.5 KB · Views: 40
It was called Petro patch Dave, used it a few times in the past with great success, very easy and effective, moulding to any shape. When I looked some while ago to repair a Jerry can, it was no longer available.

THATS THE ONE!

Well remembered!

regards

Dave

@Gary820 Something I would check while your in there, I had a leak from mine but only when brimmed, I know you have found the leak but check the filler and vent tubes where they are welded together, mine had rusted there, being diesel it was easy for me to Dremel cut the two pipes and put rubber fuel pipe connectors in, but it would not have been so easy had it been petrol.

I may have a picture somewhere but it was about 9 - 10 years ago?

regards

Dave

There plenty of products around Gary and first thoughts are a epoxy mix glue for cracks etc. Wielding is risky and a lot more involved to be concerned with.
Would be the first choice I would consider tbh.
Dervish, does that actually cope with fuel, it says from what I can see, 'tanks', that may be water.
Epoxy putty is good though for loads of things

Dervish, does that actually cope with fuel, it says from what I can see, 'tanks', that may be water.
Epoxy putty is good though for loads of things

There are many products all Similar tbh with all pretty much doing the same job. These products do many jobs and have many uses from what I’ve seen. Description below.

QUICKSTEEL - PLASTIC REINFORCED EPOXY RESIN PUTTY WHITE TANK REPAIR

You can trust it - the UK's leading roadside recovery service does!

Quiksteel Plastic - White, is a two component epoxy resin in a single stick; the outer layer is the epoxy and the core is the activator.

Here are a few reasons why Quiksteel, the world's toughest epoxy putty is a winner with both the professional trade user and the DIY enthusiast:

Sets steel hard within 15 to 30 minutes, even under water, achieving a full chemical cure within 60 minutes. It's impervious to petrol, diesel, oil and even battery acid.

Permanently bonds to aluminium, brass, copper, steel, PVC, fibre glass, plastics, glass, wood and more.

Repairs leaking fuel tanks, kerbed alloys, stone damaged radiators, cracked sumps, stripped threads and exhausts. Around the home it can fix anything from leaking gutters to a leaking central heating pipe.

It is temperature resistant to 260 degrees C (500 degrees F) and it is drinking water safe.

Bond holds to -32 degrees C (90 degrees F)

Detailed instructions included within the pack.

When fully cured, Quiksteel Plastic can be drilled, sawn, milled, ground, filed, tapped,sanded, painted and lacquered.

Quiksteel Plastic - White reinforced epoxy putty - easy to use, hardens in minutes, thousands of uses - every home and every toolbox should have one!

Tube size: 56.8 g / 2 oz

There are many products all Similar tbh with all pretty much doing the same job. These products do many jobs and have many uses from what I’ve seen. Description below.

QUICKSTEEL - PLASTIC REINFORCED EPOXY RESIN PUTTY WHITE TANK REPAIR

You can trust it - the UK's leading roadside recovery service does!

Quiksteel Plastic - White, is a two component epoxy resin in a single stick; the outer layer is the epoxy and the core is the activator.

Here are a few reasons why Quiksteel, the world's toughest epoxy putty is a winner with both the professional trade user and the DIY enthusiast:

Sets steel hard within 15 to 30 minutes, even under water, achieving a full chemical cure within 60 minutes. It's impervious to petrol, diesel, oil and even battery acid.

Permanently bonds to aluminium, brass, copper, steel, PVC, fibre glass, plastics, glass, wood and more.

Repairs leaking fuel tanks, kerbed alloys, stone damaged radiators, cracked sumps, stripped threads and exhausts. Around the home it can fix anything from leaking gutters to a leaking central heating pipe.

It is temperature resistant to 260 degrees C (500 degrees F) and it is drinking water safe.

Bond holds to -32 degrees C (90 degrees F)

Detailed instructions included within the pack.

When fully cured, Quiksteel Plastic can be drilled, sawn, milled, ground, filed, tapped,sanded, painted and lacquered.

Quiksteel Plastic - White reinforced epoxy putty - easy to use, hardens in minutes, thousands of uses - every home and every toolbox should have one!

Tube size: 56.8 g / 2 oz
This the Quicksteel you want, it's the proper stuff for fuel tank repair. I'm gona get me some of that.

Although I cant see any difference between the Grey or White apart from the colour. Theres a Green one as well

Screenshot 2020-05-02 at 17.07.32.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-05-02 at 17.07.32.png
    Screenshot 2020-05-02 at 17.07.32.png
    391.1 KB · Views: 30
Last edited by a moderator:
Well that was fun Haha.

20200502_155142.jpg

Will run it to work for a couple of days as well below the crack now, when fuel light comes on will get the tank dropped for a decent look. Seems to be an issue on petrols on mud and few things I've found suggest its metal fatigue where it's formed!!

Hopefully will get a price for a bigger tank as if can get one fairly easily now's the time to do it. Even if takes a few weeks through the uk company I've been in contact with.

If it gets a repair it's a temporary repair for me tbh, I use it hard at times and unless it's a welding/braising repair I wouldn't rely on it as a permanent fix. If go used part the area will get re enforced before install.

@Dave 2000 already had a good look at the filler and I think it won't like being disturbed, can see it getting a hose replacement or a new filler.
We know that jobs like these always want more bits Haha.

Gary, you been keeping all those jerries in case there's a fuel shortage ?
They come in very handy in cases like those.

Gary, you been keeping all those jerries in case there's a fuel shortage ?
They come in very handy in cases like those.

I drive a petrol there's always a shortage Haha.

I've got another 20 litre one too!
I used to have a track car with a small fuel cell and I help a mate when goes drag racing.

I drive a petrol there's always a shortage Haha.

I've got another 20 litre one too!
I used to have a track car with a small fuel cell and I help a mate when goes drag racing.
Yep, you don't really need a reason to have them except they are there when you want them.
I thought those gassers had factory option browser to tow behind ? Haha.

Back