Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

High pitch squeaking squealing sound from 80 series

Bern78

Hi all, I have a 1994 land cruiser 4.2TD and have recently developed a high pitch squealing/scraping/squeaking noise at low speeds, its driving me crazy. At first it seemed to come from the front drivers wheel, but now I hear it on the passenger side too. Could be front or back, hard to pin point. I only get it when driving at low speeds, no worse or better when breaking or turning and disappears above 80kph - I guess that's a clue. Recently got new disks and pads on all wheels, so doubt it's break related. I am currently in Ethiopia on a trans African trip and I'm not mechanically minded at all, so any help will be highly appreciated. Been driving in VERY HOT conditions, but decent roads. I have front wheel locking hubs but only had to engage it once when wild camping in rocky desert, easy off road. Although it did seem to be more prolific after this. Many thanks!

May sound daft - but have you checked your brakes recently? They use an acoustic wear indicator...

Work systematically - lift a wheel, turn it by hand left-right and if you can hear the sound remove the wheel and see if you can find the source.... But tbh it could be anything without a clearer description...

HTH

Could be the clips that the rear pads sit in, they make a screeching noise if they come into contact with the disc and they only have to be a little but bent or out of place to do so. Easy to fix by taking apart and reassembling correctly in that case. Another possibility is a stone trapped between one of the discs and backing plate.

Might be totally irrelivent as I'm not sure what the set up is on the rear end of an 80.
But recently had some horrible squeking/grinding noises from the back and of my 90 it was the handbrake shoes as a retaining clip and spring had come adrift. Then got trapped between the halfshaft and shoe, the noise was awful especially at low speeds.
Like I said not sure if its a similar setup on the 80.

Sounds brake related and as you say you have had new discs and pads recently, I suggest a wheels off and a thorough check. It's not unknown for "mechanics" to incorrectly fit the retaining clips or even put pads in the wrong way round.

Roger

hardy spicers? could also be one of the alternator belts...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
if it does it on pulling away it could be as above so greasing the prop would identify that, or a leak from the exhaust manifold can whistle as the turbo comes in. cheap pads fitted without anti squeal backing pads or copper grease squeal when going slowly.

if it does it on pulling away it could be as above so greasing the prop would identify that, or a leak from the exhaust manifold can whistle as the turbo comes in. cheap pads fitted without anti squeal backing pads or copper grease squeal when going slowly.

I think thats it Rich - cheap pads fitted without anti squeal backing pads or copper grease squeal when going slowly. Fitted new pads, all gone.

Back