Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Highland Cruisers

Roger Fairclough said:
I remember loads of craft shops at an old military base at Balnakeil near Durness.

Roger

Haha, one of them used to be mine !

Just floating an idea........
If it was held in Sutherland, I'm pretty sure we could get access to a 4x4 route on the Eriboll Estate.
It's one of the sites they tested the Discovery 3 before going into production and the landowner allows Highland 4x4 club to use it each year.
He's a landrover nut and did say once, "no way your vehicle could make it round".........so there's a challenge.
There are also some interesting tracks that could be done, but that would have to be negotiated with each estate.
great campsite in Durness too, right next to a beach.

What you could do is get the Highland 4x4 club involved (they'll have loads on contacts) and do a wee tour.

Just a suggestion. stil love to go to Applecross.

So any thoughts?
Would folk be prepared to travel right up to the top of Scotland or do the majority want to stick to Applecross?
I could organise something here if folk are prepared to travel.
Verdicts please:greetings-wavingye:

Happy to travel. As most folk sem to think the road-trip idea is best, perhaps one night at Applecross, one somewher way north? Northern Lights photo opp?

i dont know the areas but have wanted to tour scotland for a while, up north sounds good to me! :dance:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I could be up for a jolly up north; when are you thinking of running this chaps??

Heading over to Torridon later today for a lads mountain biking weekend, and hopefully a mountain bike ride on some hill trails across to Applecross
due to be very wet this afternoon and flooding already, so taking the 'cruiser instead of the subaru.

luckily there is a beer festival this weekend at the Torridon Inn... where we are staying
will try and get some photos of applecross and torridon if it doesnt rain too much...

Some photos from Torridon/Applecross area this weekend, didnt offroad in the LC but did plenty on the mountain bikes, Saturday's ride was 47km and over 1200m climbing and some great mountain singletrack stalker's trails. Torridon Inn nice spot to stay and the Sheildaig Inn was good for post ride lunch yesterday. A really nice part of the west coast.

Attachments

• t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 105
  • t2.jpg
    t2.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 95
  • t3.JPG
    t3.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 107
  • t4.JPG
    t4.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Hi Andy
I think that is the same route as the Applecross duathlon takes!?
Stunning place !
How was the ride?

yes - just checked on web - the "running" part of the duathlon is the same trail that we biked along yesterday! some nice looking trout fishing lochs there too,
the photo of my landcruiser parked is near the change-over point for the race
and the photo of a friend pushing bike is on the race route
but saturday we cycled from Torridon up the road NW to Loch Clair/Coulin, then south on double-track for a couple km, then headed on stalkers paths up into Coire Lair, then steep and tricky trail to Achnashellach, then a bit of road to Coulags, before many more km of stalkers paths back north Annat/Torridon (see photo) over some mountain passes - very remote, but weather was OK and one of the best mountain bike loops in the country! :)

Last edited:
Are we still on for the Scotland trip? We havent set any dates yet: could i suggest 24th-27th May, which includes the bank holiday, so we have something to aim for?

I'm planning to be up at Applecross then anyway so suits me :lol:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hello folks
Ive just seen this thread on a scotland trip, i'm in glencoe so i'd be up for it if i'm not offshore. We do applecross with the motorbikes often its a great place. we'll have to warn lochcarron fuel station to get enough diesel ordered for us!!!!
cheers greg

Applecross would be great - or anything Pete can arrange - just be warned when Pete says offroading he does not mean dirt roads:eusa-naughty:

We were just going to go up to Applecross and then sort of wend our way down to the 'Dark Skies' of Galloway Forest Park (http://www.forestry.gov.uk/darkskygalloway) for a few days R&R really - nothing major planned. If it coincides with a club trip up that way I'll move dates around accordingly to fit in :lol:

Back