Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

how deep will an 80 go through water?

Cptsideways

Garage
What is safe? Got through up to the bonnet this morning to the horse yard but its gotten deeper!

Will be stuck here for Christmas at the current rate

Its a borrowed standard 80

Air intake is in the wing so it'll have some stored air

ive not measured it and i might be completely wrong but would have though level with the indicator on the wing (i suppose you could pull the indicator out and look inside the wing to gauge the height of the intake in the wing) is a bout as deep as you want to go if you are in water for any length of time.

other thing is standard axle breathers are low down so if diffs are warm then you could pull cold water into them which isn't good.

sounds like you are in for a rough Xmas, thoughts are with you

air intake

What is safe? Got through up to the bonnet this morning to the horse yard but its gotten deeper!

Will be stuck here for Christmas at the current rate

Its a borrowed standard 80

thats about your limit you might have been lucky at that, i for one would not chance that in a standard.

36 inches, there about, but the bow wave will be a lot higher. Anymore than that you would be advised to have raised breathers and a raised air intake. But on saying that, I have done 5 foot with just raised breathers!!!!!

Ha ha have you seen the pics of Ian Rubie crossing the lake in that quarry? Like a U boat. At one point, Ian says it was actually floating.

This is the deepest I've been . . . . so far :icon-rolleyes:

Click pic to view.

th_FordingatIverUK2.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I would do that even without a snorkel, have you got raised breathers aswell?

I would do that even without a snorkel, have you got raised breathers aswell?

I don't think I would have attempted it without the snorkel, yes breathers have been raised up to top of snork.

It's a borrowed car lads so the only real answer is - yes the 80 is stuck there until the water level drops .

Floating the rear off the "whatever your driving on" is a issue, 'cos any flowing water makes steering pretty tricky.

Gra

I have been searching the link / u toob vid of mr rubie in the deep water with no luck,
I vaguely recall it some time ago,

link anyone???

Ahh, Gra you haven't tried an 80 with 37's on clearly. I think the words paddle and steamer best sum it up. Poop poop!

This is one of them, but I think there is another where Ian paddles about in the middle for a bit

Last edited:
Give me a bloomin chance Clive. Good grief. I was still editing it :icon-rolleyes:

Just wondering here, does any water get in the vehicle when driving through like that? My guess would be no unless you get stuck for a bit....

Just wondering here, does any water get in the vehicle when driving through like that? My guess would be no unless you get stuck for a bit....

Yep! as I found out once stuck in a Welsh mud hole in the Brecon Beacons :thumbdown:, probably OK if you can keep moving.

If you start to flot, just open a door and let the water in. You will sink, but get drive.

I have done the "car wash" at Corwen in my old LR 110 with the bow wave at the top of the windscreen. Keith Suttleworth was with me and he would not drive it, so I turned around and did it again!!

Thats why I dont have a snorkel fitted to my 80, it keeps me out of deep water. I do have a brand new snorkel here, just have never fitte it!

Last edited:
Back