Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

how deep will an 80 go through water?

I think you'd struggle to open a door against the water pressure. Landcruisers are all incredibly well sealed and keep the water out a lot longer than Landrovers where the water does literally pour in through holes. If you open a window on a Cruiser it does actually allow more to come in I have found. Keeping them closed keeps a degree of pressure in. This is why the doors are harder to close sometimes. However last time I went really deep - Frickley - I found that doing the body lift had disturbed the seal around the steering column. It was like a hose pipe running on my foot. It flooded in!

Good philosophy on the snork Paul. Having one does tempt you into deeper water. Keith had a petrol 80 IIRC and staying out of the car wash was probably sensible. I remember Dirk going through there in his petrol. It coughed and spluttered for some while.

I could sense it getting deeper and not coming up at all. Just as well it seems as there is a trench in there that I would have dropped into. They run tanks through it. I had to park on a slope to drain the worst out as the hole was above the height of the water.

Keith had a LR Disco at the time. I have done a lot of deep moving water over the years. Thats the only problem with a 80 series, it flots too easy!

Not much water came in in the video posted earlier in the tread. I took Andrew Prince across the same lake when it was a bit deeper, that is when we had the floating issue. The water came in through the heater vents that time and eventually enough gathered in the foot wells to sink the car and we were able to drive out. As Chris said a paddle steamer is a good description, 4 x 37" Simex type tyres are fairly good paddles :clap:

Back