Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

How often to grease wheel bearings?

Mike M

Country Flag
scotland
Hi guys,
How often do you guys repack your wheel bearings with grease?
Mine is 4 years old with 15000 miles and I don't think they've been touched. Last service when swapping round the wheels I checked for play, noises etc and all good.
I'm planning to get into them in September when it's next service is due.

I think it depends on your use Mike. I think if you were Off roading, And were in water/ mud /shit etc for long periods... Then i think check on a regular basis, But if your just road use like me Id check once a year Like everything else really... Depends on mileage also.. Everyones different, .... Or check em when they Squeal

What sort of service schedule are you sticking to? Have you translated the Japanese handbook?

Think I saw you heading out of Westhill 2 Sundays ago?

What sort of service schedule are you sticking to? Have you translated the Japanese handbook?

Think I saw you heading out of Westhill 2 Sundays ago?

Hi mate, yeah we were up at the castle Fraser steam fair for the day.
I've been following this schedule I found online. It says to re grease them every 12 months or 12k miles which I thought was abit OTT for normal road use.
I downloaded an text capture app and translated some of the book but it doesn't seem to mention service intervals.

IMG_20190701_175529.jpg

I think it depends on your use Mike. I think if you were Off roading, And were in water/ mud /shit etc for long periods... Then i think check on a regular basis, But if your just road use like me Id check once a year Like everything else really... Depends on mileage also.. Everyones different, .... Or check em when they Squeal
Cheers, just road use usually 12k a year. It's kinda why I've left it for now because it's a good bit of work regreasing every bearing then trying to setup the free play. I'll need to buy one of those 54mm sockets as well lol.

I do my 78 once a year and that's normally around 15k, if you don't need to replace the bearings you can do it in an hour a side once you get the hang of it. Some sort of parts washer helps a lot as well

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I do my 78 once a year and that's normally around 15k, if you don't need to replace the bearings you can do it in an hour a side once you get the hang of it. Some sort of parts washer helps a lot as well

Thanks, I'd better get into them sooner rather than later I guess. What grease are you using? Moly?

Thanks, I'd better get into them sooner rather than later I guess. What grease are you using? Moly?
Don't use moly not meant for wheel bearing, I just use a quality wheel bearing grease I use this stuff
LCMT2 SKF wheel bearing grease

Don't use moly not meant for wheel bearing, I just use a quality wheel bearing grease I use this stuff
LCMT2 SKF wheel bearing grease

Ok cool. Another grease for the garage collection. I use moly for the birfields and Mobil shc220 lithium for the UJs.

Ok cool. Another grease for the garage collection. I use moly for the birfields and Mobil shc220 lithium for the UJs.
I would say the Lithium grease you have will be fine

Normal use, don't worry about them until you have oil leaks from your steering knuckles and have to pull them apart for that. Or if you notice excessive free play when you rock the wheel back and forward you might have to check them out, but normally they will be fine until you have them off to fix something else.

If you are driving through rivers all the time, you'll have to do them a lot more often.

I seem to be lucky to get a year out of a set of front wheel bearings but use mine alot in water.

Tried all types of bearings and seals. All last about the same

Back