Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

How to authenticate a BJ43

KevinBJ43

Country Flag
sri_lanka
Hi guys, i bought a 1983 BJ43 soft top recently and i want to know if there is any resource which i can use to authenticate it. The chassis number and factory plate are clearly visible but i dont know how to use this information to authenticate it. is there a way to do this?

Hi,

A good starting point is to put your VIN number into www.toyodiy.com - just BJ43xxxxxxx without the letters after.

That will bring up a summary and you can further identify your truck's specification by using the letters at the bottom of the summary.

Below is a schedule of the BJ43 production numbers, which may help.
FJ BJ43 Bible.jpg

Hope this helps.

We do like photos - especially as 43s are quite rare.

Regards,

Rodger

Hi Rodger! thank you very much for your advice! i tried it and the details on the site match those on the factory plate, body frame, as well as the vehicle registration certificate given my our government.

I would also like to know if the engine i have which is a B engine (which i confirmed to be the model my 43 came with), is the same B engine that my vehicle left the factory with. is there a way to confirm this using the engine codes?

Hi Kevin
I am not sure how that works but will do some research and let you know.
It may help if you could post your vin number and your engione number so that I have numbers to work with.

Regards,

Rodger

Hi Rodger,

The details are as follows

Chassis number (frame number) BJ43004932

Engine number 0624159

Thanks so much!

Regards,
Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the numbers. I will see what I can find out. It may take a while.

Regards,

Rodger

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Kevin,

Well surpriise, surprise I have discovered some information that just may help:

As you know the B, 2B, 3B engines were fitted in various models so a direct relationship between the Vin number and the engine number is not possible but by accumulating a sufficient number of B engine numbers they are building a timeline.

The B engine has sleeved pistons so when it is rebuilt new sleeves bring the spec back to factory sizes. These engines were built by Hino (if it has a D on the rocker box then it was built by Daihatsu).

To confirm exacly I could do with the casting number which is situated on the LH side of the motor just to the rear of the injector pump - it will be something like 11xxx-56xxx.

According to the chart above your truck was built at the end of 1983 and the engine number dates from a couple of months before that so that would appear to fit nicely.

Once I have the casting number would you onject if I posted the Vin, casting and engine number into this building database - no other info is posted and it purely to establish the time lines on B series engines which will help when ordering parts.

Regards,

Rodger

Reactions: uHu
Hi Kevin,

Well surpriise, surprise I have discovered some information that just may help:

As you know the B, 2B, 3B engines were fitted in various models so a direct relationship between the Vin number and the engine number is not possible but by accumulating a sufficient number of B engine numbers they are building a timeline.

The B engine has sleeved pistons so when it is rebuilt new sleeves bring the spec back to factory sizes. These engines were built by Hino (if it has a D on the rocker box then it was built by Daihatsu).

To confirm exacly I could do with the casting number which is situated on the LH side of the motor just to the rear of the injector pump - it will be something like 11xxx-56xxx.

According to the chart above your truck was built at the end of 1983 and the engine number dates from a couple of months before that so that would appear to fit nicely.

Once I have the casting number would you onject if I posted the Vin, casting and engine number into this building database - no other info is posted and it purely to establish the time lines on B series engines which will help when ordering parts.

Regards,

Rodger

Hi Rodger,

Wow thanks alot for this info and for the time you have taken to find out all this! i had some photos from the time i rebuilt the engine which was recently and ive attached a photo to this message. After editing the image as best as i could i was able to make out the number of the block as engraved on the left side of the block which seems to be 11411-56050.

And i think my engine was built by Daihatsu as the Daihatsu logo is on multiple parts around the engine

Regards,
Kevin

Attachments

• 20200508_163304.jpg
    20200508_163304.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 20200508_163304.jpg
    20200508_163304.jpg
    594.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 20200508_163249.jpg
    20200508_163249.jpg
    516.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 20200508_112335.jpg
    20200508_112335.jpg
    356.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 20200511_184659.jpg
    20200511_184659.jpg
    453.4 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Hi Kevin,

You are welcome

Much of the information relating to the 40 series trucks was not discovered until recently and various enthusiasts are trying to fill in the gaps. Production information (as in posting above - chart) was released quite recently by a Toyota archivist which helped verify production info pre 1977 for all diesel models.

This, perhaps, suggests that Toyota never expected the 40 series to become the iconic vehicle it is.

Regards,

Rodger

Hi Rodger,

Yes they may not have anticipated the 40's would one day become a very desirable classic. All things considered my 43 seems to be the real deal which is very exciting to say the least! cant wait to see what else we will be able to dig up about it.

Regards,
Kevin

Back