Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

How to clean very corroded brass?

frank rabbets

Guru
I have a heavily corroded piece of brass to clean. Normal brasso etc will not do. This piece is corroded to the point it's got a thick green coating on and needs soaking in something. Any ideas please?

Mix vinegar, salt and flour into a sticky paste Frank, it seems to work according to this...

Don’t know the proportions though...

No effort just dump it in a bottle of coke and leave it a couple of days , Brasso will shine it up like gold when your done , my mum collected brass ornaments .

I think any mild acid treatment would work, but I’d advise against using anything too strong, it will likely etch the zinc out of the surface and leave it more copper-pink looking...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
A decent alloy wheel cleaner would be my call. I've used it on green copper to good effect. Cillit Bang might also be worth a try.

I always like the way folks say do this do that without using chemicals....

Then in the next sentence, they say mix these chemicals together... ha ha.

Autosol is a good polish once you get it to that stage, I'd agree on the Coke to start with

Thanks. Item is a telescope tube 1 metre long and 90 mm diameter. I'll try the paste first as this avoids making a container to soak it in.

Thanks. Item is a telescope tube 1 metre long and 90 mm diameter. I'll try the paste first as this avoids making a container to soak it in.

I note that the one guy kept the paste from drying, in a plastic bag...

Just soak it in vinegar for a couple of days. You'll see bubbles coming from the item after a couple of hours. I've used this on bronze engine parts on my yacht.

elbow grease. perhaps one of those cloth buffing heads for you drill. Toothpaste, G3 and any of the compounds.

Back