Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

How to tell if Ive fried my CB?

ModelMakerMan

Country Flag
england
Ive only just gotten around to checking my CB radio after I found out it wasnt working at Lincomb in May (I know, I know. Too much to do and too little time yadda yadda yadda!). What happened it the antennae coax wore through the rubber grommet where it passes through the hole in the roof and through the insulation in the cable itself so it shorted to ground. I did a quick bush repair at Lincomb on Sat eve but all I got was static, I assumed the rig was dead so removed the antennae and havent done anything with the CB it since then.

Until today when I thought I might give it one last go before admitting defeat. So I dismantled the antennae mount, cut the end of the coax, fitted a new heavier duty grommet and put 2 layers of heat shrink over the coax where it passes trough the grommet then re-wired it all. Tried the rig again and got static again but nothing else. The volume and squelch sunctions still work fine as does everything else; the screen lights up and I can select channels and switch between UK/EU etc. Plugged in the SWR meter and Im getting no moverment on the needles at all recieveing or transmitting. :think:

The rig is a Midland 75, is it fried and if so is it fixable and at what cost ie. should I just buy a new one?

no needle movement on transmit means it's probably fried and not surprising I'm afraid if you were transmitting into a short to ground. It might be repairable if you have a repair place anywhere near you otherwise probably best to just replace it.

Cheers Jon, its probably only worth about £10 if it worked anyway so Ill junk it and and get another one.

I guess with the cost of new one's, then unless it is a self repair, with almost no cost, then it's better to get a new one.

I guess even the newer basic ones are pretty decent now days.

Gra.

Back