Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Hzj75rp rim question.

CruiserKUT

Country Flag
australia
Hey guys,
Just joined up wanting to ask a question about rim offsets. I've looked on the Internet a lot and can't find much help. At the moment I think I have 15x8 rims on with 285/75r15 mud tyres. I'm not sure what the offset is but I'm wanting to increase the offset so the tyres are flush or even a little bit wider than the flares and tray. Is there a certain rim with standard offset that does this. Or do I have to try and measure it all up.
Also I will be posting some pics up of my car tomorrow when I get on my computer as I'm just on mobile at the moment.
Thanks for any help and looking forward to all the information and help I can get from this forum in the future.

Actually just figured out how to do the pics on mobile so I'll give that a try. The last one should be what it was like when I got it about 3 weeks ago.

20140607_145147.jpg20140607_145204.jpg20140605_201509.jpg2014-06-14 20.30.30.png

Very quickly, you can't have the tyres beyond the flares and under the ADR rules you can not increase the width of the track by more than 50mm on a 4x4 without engineering it.

Now one of those is very quick and easy for the Police to spot and do you for (the tyres sticking out beyond the flares) either defect or fine or both, and they will do it especially as you seem to be on your persecution plates!

I suspect you might be on -22 offset, if you can pop a wheel off and put a straight edge such as bit of steel across the tyre, and measure in mm to the rear of the mounting face from both sides. Add the 2 numbers together, divide it by 2 and then submit the measurement for the outside from that: ((Inside of tyre to mounting face + Outside of tyre to mounting face)/2)-Outside of tyre to mounting face will give you the offset.

Lastly the other problem with increasing the offset too much will place extra load on the hubs and axles, and shorten the life a little bit on some of the suspension components, as well as rubbing at full travel. Ben will be able to probably tell you more on those challenges!

Good luck, and welcome! Ed

Thanks for the quick reply.
Yes I was going to add some plastic flares if the tyres exceed the flares a bit. I wasn't meaning a lot past the flares. Also you were saying I can make the track wider than 50mm. Is this from stock rim offset? If so what does this mean as in maximum offset with respect to staying under the 50mm you were talking about.
Also thanks for the tips on measuring the rims. Will do that tomorrow and post the results. Which parts will scrub that you were talking about, as at the moment they scrub on the flat steel part of the side steps but that's on the inside on full lock. A hammer will fix that tomorrow. And shortening the life a 'little bit' doesn't sound to bad for me :)

Lastly quick edit. I don't want to go too drastic with the offset, just want it to fill out more:)

Last edited:
First idea was oem alloys as per wide body lj78, but I believe these are -20 offset, so maybe not enough, quick easy solution - spacers, but as per Ed`s reply, watch track width and be prepared for a small life shortage on components.

John

Are wheel spacers legal in queensland though? And I want black steel rims not alloys. And thanks for the reply.

I have -32 black steel wheels 16x8 on my 90 series which puts the tyres just outside the arches . Not much use to you having a 70 series i know but in my view increasing width with offset wheels is much preferable to using spacers as spacer nuts have been known to work lose which is not good when they are hidden behind the wheel . Checking wheel nuts are tight takes 2 minutes with spacers you have to remove the wheels first .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for the input. And I will not be going with wheel spacers as according to my short research they aren't legal in Queensland

Welcome to the club. :thumbup:

Nice truck. :icon-biggrin:

The wheels currently fitted are after market ones and often they have the size and off set stampede/engraved on them, so i'd have a really good look first as it might save you taking them off and measuring.

You will be able to get wheels with more negative off set which will push them out more. I run -32mm and -38mm on my 70 but I've got narrower axles.

I'm pretty sure wheel spacers are illegal in every state. :icon-biggrin:

Ok I will try have a look tomorrow after I give the car a wash. Hopefully it's that easy to find the offset. I feel like it could use around another 20 mm offset as they sit in a bit.

The increase in track is from the stock wheels, and trying to find that information is just about impossible. The cars I came from everyone knew the PCD, centre bore and offset and could recite it straight off... in the 4x4 world that seems to be information that is guarded like the crown jewels!

I run 0 offset on my 4Runner, stock is either +30ish on the 16" wheels (which is what I had) or about +8 on the 15" alloys, so I've widened my track by 16mm from the widest option that was spec'd by the factory.

As you've rightly asked, spacers are illegal in all states, unless they were available as a factory option, in which case they have to be the factory ones and not after market.

For calculating scrub etc these sites are useful:
1010Tires
Wheel/Tire Calculator

The American's also refer to backspacing, which is the same as offset (ish) but is calculated on a bare rim, whereas the way I mentioned above allows you to do it with a tyre on. Backspace is purely the distance from the back of the rim to the mounting face, which is not easy to measure with the tyre on.

Hope that helps,

Ed

I have the stock split rim still so I could just measure that and then add 50 mm offset to that to give the maximum I can go. As with those sites I don't understand how it would calculate if it will scrub or not? Does it take into account the car I'm driving and does it know the dimensions in the wheel each? Or how does it work? And hopefully it us just written on the rims what the offset is haha.

Thanks for that. Was a good bit of info there. Although I'm think I'm set now from the previous replies already. I'll post up when I've got it sorted and what I ended up doing so others can see a possible solution. Also I just realized my 75 already has the extra plastic flare syrups so should be fine with bot going past those with extra offset.

I didn't explain very well... my head was going to mush as I was trying to sort flights out.

Basically the offset calculator's will tell you how much the tyre will move in the arch, so if you increase the negative offset how much the tyre will scrub on the edge of the wheel arch, whilst an increase towards a positive offset will come back towards then the inside of the arch and the suspension components and the steering gubbins.

Hey guys, Been a bit busy with Uni exams, but today I finally got to clean the cruiser. I had a look at the rims and there was some writing however I don't understand what it means. Also a correction to my earlier posts my rim is actually a 16x7. I'm posting a picture I took of the writing. If anyone is able to tell me the offset from that. Thanks20140616_145259.jpg

I just typed in the CSA 12 10 13 code into google and found a CSA brochure which showed the offset they have for a 75 series ute is N13. Would this mean my offset is -13?
Brochure.jpg
Brochure2.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work. :thumbup:

Yes I'd say there -13.

You could easily push them out with some new wheels with more negative off set.

What size tyres are you running/do you plan to run?

One of the sets of tyres I run are 35" x 15" x 12.5".

Because there 12.5" wide I've fitted them to 10" wide (10J) rims.

So your tyre size will to a degree determine what width wheels to get and the width of wheel also dictates the off set to a degree as you will only find 7, 8 and 10J rims with a certain amount of negative off set. :icon-biggrin:

I note from the chart above that the 80 series is "0" offset. My after market steels are also "0" offset, but 10" wide running 305mm tyres (12" give or take).

I don't know the width of the standard steels that were on the truck originally, but if they were 7", then I gained 1.5" of "protrusion". It was enough to make me have to fit the plastic over-fenders (or wheel arches).

On the car now are new 285/75r16 mud tyres. So that's like an 11" wide tyre I think. Would they fit properly on a 10" rim or would I have to go with an 8" rim? Also where would be the best place to get new black steel rims. As a lot of online stores just show the product and not the price so I have no clue what the cost of them should/would be. For reference I live on the south side of brisbane if anyone knows of a good cheap place to buy them from down here.
Thanks for the help guys.

My advice, which is more subjective than scientific, is that 11" tyres would be better suited on 9" rims (or maybe even less) as I've been led to believe the rims should be a couple of sizes less than the tread width to allow the tyre wall to be at optimum elasticity.

Some street mods on lowered cars use wider rims than the tyres should have, to stretch the side walls to enhance the low profile look. To me they look stupid, but what do I know, I'm old :lol::icon-rolleyes:

Back