Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

I don't think I have the correct springs

jeepmadmike

I have started looking at fitting my ironman kit tonight, well I've pulled the rear springs out and the ones supplied look like they would fit but are going to give a big lift

Basically it's hard going to compress them to the free length of the standard springs! They have more coils and are a larger coil size.

I'm impressed with the delivery from west coast but not bothering to include a packing note stating what fits where just bugs me, yes you can work it out for yourself but it's more time and effort and you have no idea if you have been send the wrong components :thumbdown:

Also the shocks are worryingly long (+4" over standard) would not be surprised if they bottom before the axle hits the bump stop

All in all I'm beginning to wish I had bought a different kit so far :(

Or is this just normal?

If its from West Coast i'm sure they will be right and they will be more than willing to help if there is a problem.

Paul, his brother and his dad really wouldn't have any problems talking you through it.
I have always found them very helpfull.
Many times while I have been there, Pauls mum, makes the tea, toast and marmalade. :thumbup: and brings them over to the workshop for us.

Nice

Graham

they do look masive i know, i thought the same when my kit arrived, but when fitted it is only a 2" lift. your old springs have probably sagged a lot if there original.

you dont/wont need spring compressors to fit this kit at all!!!!

you simply put the trolley jack under one side of the axle and jack it up, that will give you enough room to push the opposite side to the one youve jacked spring straight in.

once that spring is in, put the jack under that side of the axle and jack the axle up which will compress the spring and pivot the axle, allowing the other side spring to push straight in.

that done now bolt your shocks on.

the front will be slightly trickier if yours is a later 70 with the shock inside the spring, but it is the same principle as the back.

id advise you do the back first and then tackle the front.

it didnt take me more than a few hours to fit my kit and all i really used were spanners, sockets, trolley jack and axle stands. :thumbup:

1 think i will say is that my truck appears to lean slightly to the drivers side, and some one told me taht the front and back springs are sided and should have a sticker on thm saying which side they go. :)

the only thing that might cause you a slight issue is the bushes on the top of the front shocks. i had to make some spacers for mine out of 30mm box section and some big washers, this was to ensure that the bushes remained in the shocks, as the bracket they sit in was a lot wider than the shock with rubber bush in.

i also had to remove the metal tube piece from the old bush and push it through the new bush. this proved tricky to remove from my old shocks.

maybe theyve improved the kit since then and you wont have this problem. :)

Mike

The kit I have received is as follows:

Rear Coils - Toyo 49B
Front Coils - Toyo 48B

There are instructions in the box of the front springs - they will tell you that each spring is marked L/H & R/H - but on mine they're not !! I stood them side by side, one spring is a fraction taller, I'm guessing that the taller is the drivers side. Each spring is marked PO 810.

The rear springs look identical and there are no instructions.

The shocks are marked 12696GR and 12697GR, dont know which is which yet!

I need to measure the height, but cant find a tape!! Will let you know dimensions asap.

Give West Coast a call to see which coil is which on the front - worth telling them that the coils arent being labelled properly. post the answer here if you have time.

Pete

ive spoken to west coast today the women who answered the phone checked with someone else that the springs where correct and all seems ok :clap:

i will slip them in tonight after i check the shock lenghts

the hand brake cable is looking like it will be miles too short :x

i spotted the note about drivers side springs too but the springs are identical.

i will keep you all posted

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
stick some pics up Mike ....i wanna see what it looks like

You need to adjust the height of the brake cable on the adjuster at the back - raise it up the thread, Jim clued me up on this.

Pete

Three things you need to check:-

1) You will need to increase the length of the brake pressure regulating arm by a similar amount to the lift. This is the vertical section from axle to the horizontal arm.

2) Check that the anti roll bar doesn't foul the propshaft. Better still junk it.

3) Check that the propshaft doesn't foul the under body plate---that fibrous monstocity. Better still junk it (the plate, not the propshaft).

Roger

PS Don't forget the castor correction bushes.

Hope it goes well Mike WCO are fitting a set to mine this week.

Rodger, can you recommend a make of castor correction bushes?

I'm now convinced the springs are wrong I have a 4 1/2 lift on the rear of my toy :shock:

Several problems now! getting the right springs :evil: , longer handbrake cable, longer flexi brake hose, longer axle breather, oh and the big issue getting it out of garage :shock:

Totally pissed of now I should have just got the springs made and found some shocks the correct length.

I had issues with other rubbish from down under, a ARB hard top for a pick up that was rubbish! instructions where written by a Aussie who had been in a pub all afternoon and had a worse grasp of the english language than me before he had been drinking. The locks would seize in a month if you didn't lube them and it leaked water....

jeepmadmike said:
I'm now convinced the springs are wrong I have a 4 1/2 lift on the rear of my toy :shock:

How are you measuring to get 4 1/2 inches?
From the old height or from the Toyota specs?
If its from the old height,a 4 1/2 inche gain is not uncommon with sagging springs.

As for the hardtop,they dont claim they are 100% waterproof,thats what I was told when I visited the showroom.

Where did you find that link I couldn't see any full listing like that on ironmans site, thank you

I'm supprised that the old springs have sagged that much, the ride height now is not far away from the full drop of the old shocks!

I'll let the Tyres down and get it out of the garage, turn it around and fit the fronts if it's even height wise I'll be a happy bunny!

jeepmadmike said:
I'll let the Tyres down and get it out of the garage, turn it around and fit the fronts if it's even height wise I'll be a happy bunny!

I imagine the acute angle of having new springs on the rear and the old ones pushes the ass up in the air.
I think once you have the fronts on it will not look so tall.

My 73 series went up nearly 5 inches with a leaf spring change

Mike

Were your springs the same as the reference numbers I posted?

My truck has sagged at the back, I anticipate about 4 to 5inch lift from where it is now, doesnt sound too far out tbh.

Pete

The rear springs are 455mm prior to being fitted.

Wobbly

Springs and shocks are the same numbers as your kit

I measured it again this morning it's settled about 1/2 an inch overnight

I plan to start on the fronts tonight...... If I can get it out of the shed!

Fronts are 437mm

Both give or take a few mil as it was a sewing tape measure.....

I think you've got the right ones, maybe it'd sagged more than you thought.

Pete

Back