Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Idea for light bar mounting.

mr_magicfingers

Yesterday I spend a bit of time looking around the front of the truck to see if I could figure out where to mount a bracket for a light bar. As the bumper is all plastic, that's out as I don't want it bouncing around. There's not many places to bolt something onto easily.

I was looking down and saw the two main bumper mounts have two holes in. Any reason not to run a couple of bolts through them? My idea was to get some 25mmx3mm steel bar and weld up a shape that could be bolted onto the bumper mount then fit through the front grill and make a flat surface for the light bar to bolt to. One each side of the number plate.

Just thought I'd check to see if it sounds reasonable.

IMG_6617.jpeg
IMG_6618.jpeg

Sounds good to me. As not a bull/nudge bar, I can't see any insurance issue here as long as its not considered a modification. Anything bolted on seems to be fair game for them. You could say it was already on there if asked, (we wont tell), and as for the law as long as they fall within the height requirement and no sharp edges your good to go. Did you consider the number plate mount rated by leeloo on here?
I think what you are proposing though would be inherently stiffer and stronger bolted to chassis, and assuming you are doing any cutting, bending and welding with stuff laying around, cheaper.
One thing I would consider is the amount of forward projection on any materials used, doesn't result in excessive vibration through lights mounted.

I did think about the number plate mount but as everything is plastic, I think it'd just bounce around too much and possibly stress/crackt he bumper. The bar would sit just above the number plate and the light bar would be forward off the plate by the depth of the bar, probably 2-3 inches. Is that a no-go for MOT etc. I'd not thought about that..

Good point I'd not considered MOT. If the tester is like one at my local garage he won't let anything go, on VOSAs agenda or his own. If you fart in waiting area he will stick the emission sniffer up your khyber !!

I did quite a bit of research into this and it’s a nightmare.

Looked at the number plate mount but some MOT testers, and apparently some coppers, will look very harshly on them as they state it restricts the view of the number plate and is therefore illegal. Bit nit picky if you ask me, but didn’t want to take the risk.

Looked at mounting one on the angled top section of the bumper and creating some strengthening behind but then that’s also apparently illegal in the UK as it would stick out further forward of the vehicle by a few mm and is considered a danger to people you hit!

Looked at some sort of bullbar; again frowned upon by the authorities here in the UK.

Eventually decided to fit it into the grill section.

Yes I know I’m illegal at the moment as the front plate is not even attached but only fitted it this weekend whilst on lockdown - and the cars not going anywhere anyway. Will be creating a small padding to go into the section just below the light bar and attach the plate there (just below the light bar) and bottom of the plate will still above the bottom of the bumper (so hopefully can’t be caught and broken). Had thought of putting a stick on number plate on the bumper-but apparently they are illegal too!!

Hope I’ve given you something to think about.

Attachments

• 855B7F93-7137-4DCD-9890-2CED2950F890.jpeg
    855B7F93-7137-4DCD-9890-2CED2950F890.jpeg
    254.4 KB · Views: 140
TH, that's brilliant ! Looks like it should be there. Did you have to fabricate any extra brackets, did you have to cut anything away, and finally, what did you bolt it to within that lower grill area ? Well done, Cheers.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
TH, that's brilliant ! Looks like it should be there. Did you have to fabricate any extra brackets, did you have to cut anything away, and finally, what did you bolt it to within that lower grill area ? Well done, Cheers.

Thanks for the compliment!

Fitting was fairly easy (once I had got me head around what I was going to do).

1. Removed the bumper - so easier to work on
2. Marked up the are of the 'grill' that had to be cut out for the lightbar to fit. Its a 20" bar (kind of wish I had gone one size bigger ;-( Bigger is always better!)
3. Cut out the section from the 'grill' by hand just using a bare hacksaw blade - nice small teeth so makes a clean cut and cuts slow enough not to 'melt' the plastic. Have attached a pic of the bit that was cut out.
4. The cut out is in the 'open' bit of the 'grill' so leaves the bottom section which is more solid.
5. Drilled through the bottom section (of the 'grill') for the bar mounting holes - Sorry didn't take a pic of that bit.
6. Wiggled the bar in place, with the brackets already attached, and the bolts at the bottom, then attached the nuts when in place.
7. Reattached the bumper

I've made it sound simple, but there was a bit of head scratching and 'making it up as I went along'. (Including having to drill out all my bottom bumper fixing bolts as all 4 of then sheared off when I tried to undo them - There's always something that's not in the plan.

Although the bar is bolted to the black plastic part of the grill its a tight fit into the hole and is rock solid, so should be as solid as the bumper! Also no had to drill any of the 'structure' of the metalwork - so no excuses there from the insurance guys or the MOT guys (I hope!).

Attachments

• IMG_7294.JPG
    IMG_7294.JPG
    461.8 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_7297.JPG
    IMG_7297.JPG
    451.1 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_7298.JPG
    IMG_7298.JPG
    365.8 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_7299.JPG
    IMG_7299.JPG
    305.4 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_7300.JPG
    IMG_7300.JPG
    231.6 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_7301.JPG
    IMG_7301.JPG
    392.9 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_7309.JPG
    IMG_7309.JPG
    785.9 KB · Views: 125
Marked up a pic.

Red lines show where I cur (approx.)
Yellow circle shows where I drilled for the mounting bolts (approx.)

Hopefully you can see it when looked at full screen.

Attachments

• IMG_7298.JPG
    IMG_7298.JPG
    367.8 KB · Views: 123
Nice job, looks very stealthy and subtle.
:thumbup::cool:

That's a really neat solution. will have to take some measurements and figure out if I can fit mine there and still have room for the number plate. I wonder if there's a minimum height for the plate to be.

Don't believe so as all vehicles vary in height off the tarmac

Interesting - What makes you think that?

I can see nothing in the INF104 document

Section 4 states:

4 Displaying vehicle registration numbers Vehicle registration numbers must be correctly displayed on number plates as set out in the Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations (as appropriate). These regulations govern how vehicle registration number plates are designed, manufactured and displayed. You can’t rearrange or misrepresent the numbers and letters on a number plate to form names or words, so that they are hard to read. For example, fixing bolts to change any of the letters or numbers. You could be fined up to £1,000 and your car will fail its MOT test if you drive with incorrectly displayed number plates. In some cases, the registration number may be permanently withdrawn. If you misrepresent a vehicle registration number you will not get back any money that you have paid for the registration number, or any other costs you have to pay. You cannot use a registration number to make your vehicle appear younger than it actually is.

Nor can I see anything on the official gov MOT site (MOT inspection manual: cars and passenger vehicles) that states anything about the height that the plate can be fitted - Only that it has to be at the front of the vehicle. As long as it's a plate that conforms to all the standards. My plate, when fitted, will be only 2" lower than it was before, will not be obscured and can still be read by ANPR, etc.

DH, great pics and explanations, thanks. I wouldn't have known the legalities of reg plate height, except to say I would agree with MickW. They are on bumpers, grills, bonnets etc, all different heights.
What initially concerned me was the height of the light, for which I believe there are regs, but as you are more or less on the same level as the oem bumper lights, I can't see a problem.

DH, great pics and explanations, thanks. I wouldn't have known the legalities of reg plate height, except to say I would agree with MickW. They are on bumpers, grills, bonnets etc, all different heights.
What initially concerned me was the height of the light, for which I believe there are regs, but as you are more or less on the same level as the oem bumper lights, I can't see a problem.

Had wondered about that too, but reading Lamps, reflectors and electrical equipment I can’t see anything that would be of concern

Dipped or main beam headlamps must immediately light up when they’re switched on (depending on the position of the dip switch).

Headlamps must switch immediately between main beam and dipped beam when you move the dip switch.

Moving the dip switch must do one of the following:

• extinguish all main beam headlamps and leave on at least one pair of dipped-beam headlamps
  • deflect the main beams to make them dipped beams
Dipped beam headlamps can remain on or switch off when main beam is selected.

Headlamps are not needed on vehicles first used before 1 January 1931.

When optional headlamps are fitted:

• if one is fitted it must dip
  • if 2 are fitted, either both must dip or one must dip and the other switch off

If anything it reads that only “mandatory” lights are tested. It’s wired to come on with the high beam, but through a switch and independently fused. So I’m working on the principle from what I’ve read as long as it’s switched off it’ll be fine. Guess I’ll find out for sure next year. Can always create some sort of cover to cover it up I suppose.

Yes, I had 6" Angel eye spots on my 78 bullbar, which were switched for Angel eyes only, spotlight only through main beam, never had an issue with mot, and he is as strict as they come.
When I get around to copy your mod I will go for the 24" combo light bar, with switched fog/ spots.
Well done and thanks for sharing.

Back