Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Ikamper top tents

Can you leave bedding in the ikamper ?

I've been wondering if i could fabricate some alternative hinges so i can , though i can see it turning into a much bigger job because i might need a deeper hardtop . I can see happy potential in the idea of having a more aerodynamic aluminium checker plate roof tent and matched roof storage box covering the whole rack .

Funny how a lack of funds lets us dream up expensive ideas .

I believe you can leave sleeping bags and pillows in as long as they are pushed well back into the hardshell area and kept fairly flat.
I'll give it a go next time I have the tent up.

So it falls out when you open the tent ? I think i could do that but i wouldn't like to in heavy rain .

So it falls out when you open the tent ? I think i could do that but i wouldn't like to in heavy rain .

Ahh No , nothing will fall out, it's kept inside the tent but tucked away at the hinge side of the hardshell.

ah right i tried that with mine , or at least folding the double sleeping bag (which is far too big even for two of us) and laying it flat so it would be sandwiched between mattress when it folds away but then i can't close the lid fully . A nuisance because its all in the hinge which is set to fold mattress perfectly flat .

I'm thinking to lift the pivot like this to leave space for bedding between .

ea346774f7920573a0ab53d1cb994fa6.jpg

Can you leave bedding in the ikamper ?

We leave ours in all the time, we put a sleeping bag over the mattress, then a double sleeping bag, a duvet on top and the pillows and the top comes down no problem. The mattress is not as comfortable as the Maggi and neither is the iKamper as warm.

ABB8F2AC-D515-4115-AD41-238944FA899D.jpeg
Just had a wee play with things and i've more than an inch but not 2 extra space under the closed shell before it comes into contact with the ladder which isn't original and so 2 and 3/4 inch deep while flat .

A slimmer ladder and a spacer under each hinge would give me plenty of room to leave bedding in i think . Pic to follow if her ipad lets me .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
View attachment 164694 Just had a wee play with things and i've more than an inch but not 2 extra space under the closed shell before it comes into contact with the ladder which isn't original and so 2 and 3/4 inch deep while flat .

A slimmer ladder and a spacer under each hinge would give me plenty of room to leave bedding in i think . Pic to follow if her ipad lets me .

On the ikamper, it's only a third of the floor that folds over so there's more room at the back for bedding.

Sounds like your on your way to sorting yours though with the spacers.

IMG_20200328_164213.jpg IMG_20200328_164451.jpg

Thanks Mike , now things make sense because closed my tent is much smaller than the ikamper (which is my preference) so it folds in half .

I've actually used one of the Overlanding Rooftop Tents on a few camping trips, and it's been fantastic! The quick setup is a game-changer, and the streamlined design is a plus. I made a similar switch and haven't looked back. I highly recommend it if you're considering the upgrade! Let me know if you do it.

Last edited:
Anyone had experience of the Alucab roof top tents ?
I was very impressed with one on a Jeep owned by a cool Austrian couple when I was at the Spielberg Ring a couple of weeks ago.....
Seemed well built and capable of taking a knock when off road . They had toured extensively in northern Europe and Scandinavia and had no problems

Best tent I’ve ever had, very very quick & easy to put up and down, well built, very spacious, can load stuff on top, been very good in very high winds, and yes, mines taken a few knocks etc etc
ive had various howling moons, maggiolina etc & the alucab tops the lot
don’t think your far from me if you wanted to come & have a closer look

Back