Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

I'm no biker, but this caught my eye...

Not sure i have the right vid because it offers no info and i can't hear it but it reminds me of this

I liked the way Walker rides so i had a 50 quid bet on with my mate Billy Butcher that his GSXR would be neck and neck with the Ducati when his engine blew .

Always fancied a Ducati......until I bought one in 2011 and sold it after 3 months. Far too 'quirky' for me. £16500 for a 1198SP, did 2500m on it and lost £4k. Went back to the Japanese camp.

Not sure i have the right vid because it offers no info and i can't hear it but it reminds me of this

I liked the way Walker rides so i had a 50 quid bet on with my mate Billy Butcher that his GSXR would be neck and neck with the Ducati when his engine blew .

It wasn't a vid Shayne, the link takes me to a press release or an article anyway. With some photos and technical stuff about Ducatti's change from the trusted race proven twin to the new v4.

I meant the vid i posted Clive , if memory serves it is the right one but ..... yeah my memories really good :shifty:

I meant the vid i posted Clive , if memory serves it is the right one but ..... yeah my memories really good :shifty:

Ah, sure.

Incredible riding, how he hung on to the last, the power drop must have been significant with a pop like that.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Walker was nuts i bet because i figured there was no way his 4-stroke could keep pace with that twin and it saddens me that i was right , had he won i reckon his career would have been boosted to biblical heights . That was the last race i ever watched , Billy Butcher got married which marked an end for his 1100cc Suzuki Katana - then she left him and the Ship Inn Castletown is now closed for demolition :violin:

Typically we argued about the small print of the bet and ultimately decided we both lost so the only thing to do was put the money on the bar and sit there until it was all gone :lol:

End of an era?

Nice...

Ultimately a nice ornament for the garage. Uncomfortable, hard to ride on the road, too expensive to thrash round the track, pretty pointless in this day and age with the traffic conditions and speeding regulations.
Tried a Multistrada 1200S for a couple of days and quite liked it, but as TP said, deviate from the norm somewhat and I didn't go ahead. Jap camp for me also ( would love a ZZR 1400).

Ultimately a nice ornament for the garage. Uncomfortable, hard to ride on the road, too expensive to thrash round the track, pretty pointless in this day and age with the traffic conditions and speeding regulations.
Tried a Multistrada 1200S for a couple of days and quite liked it, but as TP said, deviate from the norm somewhat and I didn't go ahead. Jap camp for me also ( would love a ZZR 1400).
ZZR 1400... pha, go wash your mouth out.

Chased a couple in Scotland and although quick on the straight they never left me behind, especially in the corners, and my Blackbird is a lump...

WRT Ducati love the look and the sound of them, but can't see myself ever owning one

Last edited:
This is where rider ability and knowledge of the road ahead come in. All things being equal a Gen 2 ZZR14/ZX14R will waste any other sports tourer in it's class and some that aren't. Had a ride on a Blackbird a couple of years back and it felt gutless by comparison but with an engine design that's basically 15 yrs older and a good 60bhp/30lb-ft down that's really to be expected and an unfair comparison. The 1198 was undoubtably quicker in the tighter stuff and had an explosive punch off the line as good as any 4 pot but far too much of a compromise for general road use IMO.

My bro in law lost a bundle of notes doing a direct swap trade in on his 996 for an R1 after just a couple of months because his wrists hurt too much to use it as a daily .

Never really been into bikes but appreciate the engineering that goes into them, I knew a guy in Essex who managed a spares shop, he regularly beat other riders on more powerful bikes with his many years of experience.

I have been a passenger on a number of bikes, and don't mind admitting I mount the pillion grasping a spare pair of underpants!

Regards

Dave

I have been a passenger on a number of bikes, and don't mind admitting I mount the pillion grasping a spare pair of underpants!

Regards

Dave

Funny you should say that. I've been riding for over 35yrs and I HATE riding pillion, it scares the sh*t out of me. Something about not being in control I guess.

Funny you should say that. I've been riding for over 35yrs and I HATE riding pillion, it scares the sh*t out of me. Something about not being in control I guess.

I know what you mean TP, however its something you get used to, Maria rides pillion at every opportunity and loves it especially the BB. The last time I was pillion ( on a GXSR1000) i turned deeply religious within 15 sec of setting off and didn't stop till the thing was switched off and we only did 5 miles.

Yup I'm not great as a pillion either.

I would NEVER ride pillion EVER again - did it once, that was enough! I was on a Bonny, carrying a fairing for my old 550/4.........nothing to hang onto......eeeeeek!

I rode pillion for hundreds of miles as a teenager on the back of my mate's T25 Trophy, and later his Daytona 500, and loved it then.

Last week, went on the back of a mate's 600 jap thingy, and didn't like the idea at all, I was glad to get off it.

Must be an age thing...

The problem with many modern sports bikes is that they aren't really designed for carrying a pillion any distance even though they do have a pillion seat (of sorts) with foot pegs and maybe a grab rail to fullfill basic safety requirements but they're the only type of bike I've ever ridden pillion on. Something like the padded armchair on the back of a full dress Goldwing on the other hand may be a very different experience.

The problem with many modern sports bikes is that they aren't really designed for carrying a pillion any distance even though they do have a pillion seat (of sorts) with foot pegs and maybe a grab rail to fullfill basic safety requirements but they're the only type of bike I've ever ridden pillion on. Something like the padded armchair on the back of a full dress Goldwing on the other hand may be a very different experience.

Knowing the Goldwing, you'd probably get a seat belt too! :lol:

Back