Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Import duties

warrenpfo

Is there a site i can visit to work out the import duty costs for things like bumpers and sliders?

From what i can tell i have to pay Customs duty and that is dependant on the "classification" of the goods and then VAT...or is it TAX...or is the VAT just a for of TAX?

Its all very confusing

I guess i should add that its from the US of A that i want to import some things and then i need a clearing agent this side and he too takes a cut if i am right?

Search a company that deals with the large shipping companies like UPS, DHL, FEDEX.
You'll receive a bill to be payed direct from either of the above when delivering the goods.
Usually you'll expect to pay a small amount of import tax on the goods and shipping, a small amount of brokerage and then your VAT.

So it works out like this:
Goods and shipping
Plus import tax
Plus brokerage
Plus VAT

Goods and shipping to be payed in the USA.
The rest on delivery to UPS? DHL, FEDEX.

I receive a lot of stuff from the USA, you can't really say how much you're going to pay. Every shipping is classed in it's own category.
Usually works out cheaper or the same from a decent importer.

Many thanks, I will do some further investigation and let you all know how it goes.

I think someone who does a lot of importing will be along with an answer in a minute but you pay import duty based on the declared value of the goods, plus VAT on that total, plus the clearing agent fees, and often plus UK delivery charges! With heavy items from the US I usually estimate it as costing roughly the value of the product to get it to my door, so a $1200 bumper won't be much short of $2400 by the time it's all yours but that's just a rough calculation for bugeting.

I import the odd part or two ;) As has been said the big one to watch for, especially on heavy items, is they charge VAT on the shipping :evil:

Ian

If you're thinking of importing from the States it maybe worth considering an account with BorderLinx. It means:
You'll have a USA shipping address which will enable you to buy from a wider range of suppliers
You won't be charged the duties on shipping from anywhere but New Jersey and your shipping charges will be less. e.g. we were quoted $753 for shipping from Texas - actual costs via BLinx $23 in US plus £87 from States.

BorderLinx are part of DHL but no doubt all the other shippers have similar systems. BorderLinx subscription is/was £5.00 as a one-off payment.

Regards,

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
To raise this thread again i have recieved a quote from Christo to ship a front and rear bumper with ladder and tyre carrier with diff drop and fairlead plate for AUS800 to heathrow.

Consideringthe weight and the fact it will be on two pallets does this seem about right as i thought it was not too bad.

For some comparison a recent quote I recieved for a 20ft container was this

Shipping
Cost of Shipping by 20 foot Container (Sole Use) US$1989.00
Origin
Inland Trucking to Depot if required (metro area) Au$180.00
Container Loading and trucking to wharf Au$720.00
Origin Port charges Au$491.00

Quite a lot!
Jonnie

Warren, sounds interesting.
First thought are you sure its AUS dollars, I would have thought it would be USD

I wonder what the impact would be on 2 front bumpers and 2 rear bumpers?

warrenpfo said:
To raise this thread again i have recieved a quote from Christo . . .

Unless his policy has changed there might well be an international credit card surcharge to add to this.

Ian

Sorry it is US not AUS for some reason i keep thinking he is based in the US.

Will check on the credit card charge or do a bank tansfer or get a mate that side to pay cash if i have to.

He will not budge on the price for any of the good unless 10 or more are ordered but the shipping may come down slightly.

The Aussie dollar has parity with the US dollar at the moment anyway so interchangeable.

Back