Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Pre and post 93 sway bars

chapel303

Country Flag
uk
Can anyone tell me the main differences between the pre and post 93 sway? Is it just the link arms and bushes or the actual shape and routing on the vehicle?

4x4 works stock a heavy duty post 93 one, my wagon is July 92. Just trying to figure out if it’s possible to make it work.

Cheers

My understanding is the bars are the same and are interchangeable. You are right the chassis links are different. Also, the bracket and/or bush that attaches to the axle is larger but again interchangeable.

If you regularly articulate the rear the older pre 94 chassis links won’t be up to the task with a stiffer swaybar. You will need to upgrade to some stronger links. However, if you only rarely articulate through full travel you will be fine.

Upgraded links can be had from places such as
LCP - Severe Duty Rear Sway Bar Links - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

Heavy Duty Rear Sway Bar Link - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

Last edited:
Attacking this one again while my power steering is down and out.

Has anyone installed the chassis mounted drop plate style sway bar attachments? I have holes on the side of the chassis for them, but they aren’t captive. I’m basically trying to figure out if I need to weld a threaded boss or nut on, or if rivnuts would work.

Attacking this one again while my power steering is down and out.

Has anyone installed the chassis mounted drop plate style sway bar attachments? I have holes on the side of the chassis for them, but they aren’t captive. I’m basically trying to figure out if I need to weld a threaded boss or nut on, or if rivnuts would work.

The under chassis mounts are generally considered to be far superior to the side mounted. They are much more resistant to deforming when stressed. Toyota moved away from side mounted after 1994.

I have the side mounted drop plates for a 3” lift and they regularly bend out of shape. I’ll be upgrading to the LCP option as linked in my post above shortly.

The under chassis mounts are generally considered to be far superior to the side mounted. They are much more resistant to deforming when stressed. Toyota moved away from side mounted after 1994.

I have the side mounted drop plates for a 3” lift and they regularly bend out of shape. I’ll be upgrading to the LCP option as linked in my post above shortly.
My 96 has the side mounted rear sway bar plates and the ball joint type drop links.... did they then start fitting them again ?

Ye I need to drill out the bolt I have snapped off in my under chassis mount in that case. I’ll give it a crack tomorrow. I’m also keen on the LCP option which would mean I potentially don’t have to extract the snapped bolt by the look of them? I’ve got a mate heading to the states shortly, if they are in stock I can order some through him.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
My 96 has the side mounted rear sway bar plates and the ball joint type drop links.... did they then start fitting them again ?

That is interesting. It is entirely possible my understanding regarding the years they were and were not fitted is wrong! I had always understood that 92-94 had side mount, 95 on had the under chassis mount. I suspect there may also be some market and/or trim differences.

Back