Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Importing a VDJ79 Single cab to the UK

FB_IMG_1561666202158.jpg

BAT21 is doing one. Im planning to do one. Just search 80 series UTE conversion and you will find loads who have done it in Australia.

It is tempting to look at Hiluxes and 79s as they are already pickups. In fact Im still looking.... BUT, the 80 might be old and a little smokey but it is built like a brick****house. It has coils all around, permanent 4wd, 3 diff locks, great (but a little thirsty) engine. Im sure the metal in the chassis rails is probably 3mm thicker than anything else.

As long its not a rust bucket it will be a lot more capable and longer lasting than a 79 or hilux.

Hi Scott, I was like you beginning of last year trying to find a double cab 79 series to import into the country. Found them for sale in Japan but only to be advised they would be difficult to get through the IVA test so I went with 76 wagon and can highly recommend the 4 litre V6 petrol. Averaging 20 mpg fully Ioaded with a rooftop tent so it's not scary. I know the V8 diesels sound like small block Chevy's with a 3" exhaust but it's in the too hard bucket to find just now lol. Looks like an Oz import over 10 year old will only need an MOT and not 6 months proof of ownership in Oz so that's picked up my interest a little.

Hi Hitch, I do like the older ones as well, and like you say a good bit cheaper. Are parts easily available for these in the UK and what sort of things should I look at when viewing either of these trucks? I'm actually supposed to be going to see that guy next week when I'm in his neck of the woods.

Hi Hitch, I do like the older ones as well, and like you say a good bit cheaper. Are parts easily available for these in the UK and what sort of things should I look at when viewing either of these trucks? I'm actually supposed to be going to see that guy next week when I'm in his neck of the woods.
Parts for the v8 are available.. There will always be someone to help out... The HZJ parts will be a lot easier with the 4.2 engine.. someone with a bigger brain than mine can confirm.. The HZJ will be a lot cheaper to run and parts cheaper and readily available.... I dont know much about the v8 but have read a few reports on injector problems....... That HZJ for 13 grand is about right on price... And hes open to offers... Its the one i would have..

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for the advice. I could be doing without injector problems, I spend half my working life changing the damn things on MTU marine diesels!

Hi Scott, I was like you beginning of last year trying to find a double cab 79 series to import into the country. Found them for sale in Japan but only to be advised they would be difficult to get through the IVA test so I went with 76 wagon and can highly recommend the 4 litre V6 petrol. Averaging 20 mpg fully Ioaded with a rooftop tent so it's not scary. I know the V8 diesels sound like small block Chevy's with a 3" exhaust but it's in the too hard bucket to find just now lol. Looks like an Oz import over 10 year old will only need an MOT and not 6 months proof of ownership in Oz so that's picked up my interest a little.

Hi Mike was your 76 wagon new? 20mpg isnt unbearable I suppose but more would be better.

Thanks for the advice. I could be doing without injector problems, I spend half my working life changing the damn things on MTU marine diesels!
It was some reports id read about not wanting to run on nothing but pure clean green Diesel.... So not that impressive For the African Markets and Outback Australia... Electronics would start interfering when a bit of shitty Diesel got Through. Instead of Coughing it out like a good old injector pump Engine.. The new 200s and V8S would throw warning lights.... Just something i read.. Go on Go for the HZJ 4.2.... Offer him 10 grand and get a good Honest Truck... With no Nonsense to worry about

Well I went to see the 79 that someone linked to on Facebook, nice machine and a good helpful chap selling it. It's made my mind up that I need a 79 in my life! Just need to find the money somewhere!

Hi Mike was your 76 wagon new? 20mpg isnt unbearable I suppose but more would be better.

Nearly new, its a 2015 but only had 4000 miles on the clock. Im not so sure what kind off mpg the V8 diesel gets.

Well I've committed to buying the single cab aussie import as previously linked to on this thread. Just waiting on the registration coming through!

Is the reliability an issue on the 79's with the V8 engine? I thought they were pretty good? If the right truck came up with the 4.2 6 cylinder engine I'd go for that too, just thought the V8 would be the daddy!
I've had no issues with my 79 yet and at 13l/100 with a load is pretty good

Nearly new, its a 2015 but only had 4000 miles on the clock. Im not so sure what kind off mpg the V8 diesel gets.
Hi Mike, who do you use for insurance? Most of the quotes I've had so far are quite high.

Hi Mike, who do you use for insurance? Most of the quotes I've had so far are quite high.
I was using lloyd latchford agents and insured through ageas but I was tight for time last year as I'd booked my flight to Southampton last minute to pick the car up. I wasn't keen staying with them as any changes you get charged double. This time I finally obtained insurance through NFU for 110 quid cheaper , and an additional 5000 miles. All mods declared.

Imports can be a pain to insure. Some companies don't touch them, some you have to let them go to their underwriters to get the model added and some just take the p!ss with the price and want cat1 alarms, trackers etc.

Back