Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

In Scotland on way to Lincomb need some advice

mussy

Just arrived in Scotland from Switzerland on way to Lincomb tomorrow and noticed that my plastic wheel cover and also the metal cover for the axle is missing...

Not sure how they could have both come off...

Do you think if I put the plastic cover on I can get down to Lincomb and then home to Switzerland, is their anyway I can they parts to the meet...

All help appreciated as always.... 20150423_170356ab.jpg

Attachments

• 20150423_170404a.jpg
    20150423_170404a.jpg
    430 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
As long as you aren't wading in filth water they'll be fine. Odd though. They take some pulling off normally. Wonder if they have been nicked. You wouldn't get pressure in there that could blow them off.

He says he is but he's tres busy at the moment and doesn't keep all this stuff at home. Most likely he'll just pull the ones off his and get some more when he gets home. He's that kinda guy.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Mussy,

Something looks wrong in those pictures; I'm pretty sure there shouldn't be a bolt through the metal cap (and presumably into the cv). I've no idea what the clearance is inside the plastic cap, but perhaps the thickness of that bolt head was enough to push the plastic cap off when the cv moved through the splines a bit?

The first picture looks like maybe there's a combination of the newer long spline cv joints with the old shorter spline flanges.

You can probably make it to Lincomb (even back to Switzerland), but I think you'll have new cv joints and flanges in your future!

All the best,
Toby

ON the top pic it you are missing the metal cap.

I would stay out of the mud and water if it was me until that was resolved.

with Toby about the presence of the bolt.

Was on the phone earlier and couldn't see the photos very well.

Toby is right. The truck has the long cv in it. That means that it will move and push the metal cap off. Someone's drilled a hole in the cap and bolted it to the cv so it stays in place. Sort of anyway lol

I would say the bolt came undone, the cap then came lose and rattled around inside the wheel cap until it went astray.
As others have said above safe to drive on the road but stay out of dirty water if off road.
Correct me if I am wrong but are there not after market flanges that are deeper on the splines for the longer cv's?

I have some of the bigger flanges. They come on the later 80s.

Just to be clear, the photos are of each wheel as is for the moment ie. 1 missing and one not. So can we fit just deeper covers on each side?

Mussy

I would say the bolt came undone, the cap then came lose and rattled around inside the wheel cap until it went astray.
As others have said above safe to drive on the road but stay out of dirty water if off road.
Correct me if I am wrong but are there not after market flanges that are deeper on the splines for the longer cv's?

We did a cv refurb on the side now with missing cap and a bolt was not fitted and a new original cover. ( just spoke to the garage.)

mussy

Just needs the bigger flanges. New cap and job done. 15min job :thumbup:

Yes Cive! Drove down to Lincomb and the next morning Karl was there with the correct bits and bobs and together with Richsims all was done in 20 mins....

power of our great community, thank you all.:thumbup:

Oh well spotted Karl and Rich. Yes well done...

Ha ha.

Great weekend as always. Tad cold and windy at times. And wet. But also some very welcome sunshine.

Back