Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Injector Swap

Don't forget the extra tools and "use once" bits like fuel return gaskets and fuel lines etc in your pricing. I keep forgetting them. Toyota say change fuel lines with every injector change. Re-use if you're taking injectors out and putting the same ones back in - but new fuel lines with new injectors. It's in the Toyota manual in BOLD. :laughing: Some say blurgh to that but I'm changnig mine - they're 21 years old and I'm not doing the job just to get let down by a disturbed corroding pipe throwing chunks into the nozzle. :eusa-naughty:

If you already know this stuff just point at me and giggle. I'm just excited about (and over repeating) new stuff I'm learning. :happy-bouncyyellow:

Anyway, I'll share my list of everything I've got (and getting) to do the job once it's together if that helps? It's almost there.

As for injectors, I've been more worried about making sure the injectors were legit than how much they cost. If I couldn't be 100% sure they were genuine (not copies or recons in new boxes etc) I wasn't going to do the job. The 4k Toyota wanted just for the injectors was never going to happen - and I'd rather wait for the LC to blow up than get mugged off for dodgy ones. I just don't have the money to take a chance.

I got fed up with trying to chase down someone to trust - always finding there was at least 2 people I didn't know in the chain from Denso to me - so I decided to take a chance and just solve it. A couple of weeks of calls and convincing later (incuding with Denso UK) and it turns out I've solved both problems - supply and price! :dance:

As of yesterday, I now have access to new genuine Denso OE injectors - direct from Denso to me (via a traceable route) without the boxes being touched - and at a fraction of the Toyota price.

Soooooooo, yeah - result!
Me and the Mrs just keep looking at eachother grinning. :lol:

Now on to making sure the rest of the bits are in order, watch a few hundred more videos and wait for the weather (and confidence) to get started.

Last edited:
Nice one Sam
I'll get the popcorn...

My decision is to see how many miles I get on my original injectors!

Cheers

Don't leave it too late mate, Techstream and oil pick up strainer are your friends towards that decision.

Thanks TM,
My oil sump's just been cleaned,I'll check it every oil change now.
I'll try to find someone who can plug me in to Techstream.
Cheers

Spent the afternoon with the Mrs getting the intercooler and cylinder head outer cover off to have a good look and a clean. I knew the 03 was going to be different to the videos and things I've seen so I wanted to get my bearings before the job. Gave me a good chance to have a look at the intercooler and see where the oil was coming from (not from there - at least not much). There were a few differences that threw me a bit but we got enough bits off to have a good look at what I needed to see - and enough bits back on to give me the confidence that it's easily doable for us.

I've clearly been losing more oil than I thought. My guess at the moment is that some muppet has had the cylinder cover off and put it back on with a knackered gasket. Unless it's just falling apart after 21 years? Could be injector seals :think: I've seen a few signs of similar concern though - not least the bracket lining for the front radiator hoses sitting UNDER the edge of the outer cyclinder cover :eusa-naughty:

It's the amount of oil that has me worried a little - but not overly, once it's all replaced and straight that should be ok. Cleaned as much oil off as we could get to for now - will have another look when ready to jump in.

Encouraging all those 21 year old plastic clips to come apart was a little ... erm ... uncomfortable :lol:
No breakages so far though and marked them all with different colour paint pens so I haven't got to think about it next time (marked the clips and the bolts that hold the brackets etc). Will do the same with all the vacuum hoses too. I know it's not difficult - I just want less things to have to remember as I go. Especially as it looks like I might have to get the manifold off too :doh:- more about that another time, I don't know enough to talk about it yet.

I'll maybe chuck up some pictures when I get a chance - but a bit conscious of hijacking the thread so I might start a new one to highlight the early model differences.

Last edited:
Hows the cam seal? I know mine needs replacing when the injectors finally get done

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hows the cam seal? I know mine needs replacing when the injectors finally get done
Didn't get that far - ran out of light (and it was freezing). Just got the intercooler off, unplugged the injectors (wrote numbers on them in case I lose my marbles next time), got the outer cover off to have a good look and a clean, replugged everything, intercooler back on and had some dinner. It was just about having a good look and getting a picture of the state of things and how it's aged. Everything got a clean along the way too. I'll add a cam seal check to the list (when I learn how) :thumbup:

... anyone that's had one of these fuel pips in their hand ... could you cut through one with a pair of tin snips?

I'm wondering if they are soft enough to snip through easily so I can leave the bottom end of them attached to the common rail until the last moment that I'm ready to install the new pipes (so I don't have to worry about contamination while doing the injectors). I suppose I could bend them right out of the way instead - just wondering if they're snippable.

Possible? :think:

... anyone that's had one of these fuel pips in their hand ... could you cut through one with a pair of tin snips?

I'm wondering if they are soft enough to snip through easily so I can leave the bottom end of them attached to the common rail until the last moment that I'm ready to install the new pipes (so I don't have to worry about contamination while doing the injectors). I suppose I could bend them right out of the way instead - just wondering if they're snippable.

Possible? :think:
I reused mine so was handling them very gently, but they seem pretty thin. I would think a decent pair of snips would go through them.

If you're going to snip them, squash with Moles or similar first if room, to flatten them, and cut above that, so shit can't get in.
There is no chance of any disturbed shit on the inside of the pipes, as they have had diesel constantly in them.

Last edited:
Sam,I think I'll bite the bullet and fit new Denso injectors this summer.If it's viable I'd like to keep my 120 going forever.
What's a ballpark figure for parts?
Cheers

Good timing for the question... I'm just finishing ordering everything today and tomorrow. :thumbup:

I'm not going to lie, it's hurting a bit. As everything else gets added to the list (all parts from Toyota except the injectors) it's pretty harsh.
I've been shocked every time I've walked into the place - but every time they find new ways to stagger me with the sheer liberty of their pricing.

I'm ordering "everything" I might need though. All gaskets, seals, pipes etc. You might not need to go as far as me. I just want everything to hand so that I'm not stuck half way through a job waiting for new injector seals to come in on back order or something daft. Seals and stuff might only be a fiver here or 10 quid there - but they all start adding up pretty quickly. I'm hoping there might be some stuff left over to ebay - but in reality, the LC is 21 years old and it's all original - I'm going to need to change rubber seals and bits. Feels like I'm all in now.

After tomorrow I should have everything listed, costed and ordered. I'll post up the full damage (in a new thread) and you can make a shopping list :lol:

Gotta say, I do love prepping for jobs like this. Especially getting all the tools together and laying them out to make sure I've got everything I need. Never gets old. There are a couple of little bits I need (pushing the price up even more :icon-rolleyes:) - but when I've got everything I'll post that too.

Thanks Sam,you're my guinea pig...
I've a mate with a snap-on scanner to test things first,he can't remember how to use it tho' !
Cheers

Thanks Sam,you're my guinea pig...
I've a mate with a snap-on scanner to test things first,he can't remember how to use it tho' !
Cheers
A proper Snap-on should be easy enough to navigate through - that's a real result :thumbup:

Talked to him today,he did them before on his D4D 95series and he didn't change the pipes,just injectors and seals. How did you buy the injectors from Denso UK?

20240314_081318.jpg

These are quotes from Toyota Jersey. For an OEM injector set or a Reman set.
I think I'd like to go for Denso injectors.Did you get your Denso set yet Sam?

No not yet - still on back order at Denso . I don't have a confirmed date yet (checking again later today).

I was hoping the talk of another "global shortage" was over hyped but it seems like it might be the case. I feel like we need to be extra careful about dodgy ones and remanufactured ones in legit boxes when there's not many about. Mine "should" be OE from Denso to me without the boxes opened - but they are still going through a third party so until they are in my hands I can't be 100% sure.

Your quoted prices are a fraction cheaper than Toyota UK but still a real liberty.

Turbo DIesel and PFJones list them at around £250 each including VAT which seems about right to me.

I didn't get them from either of those because I wanted to shorten the supply chain as much as possible (that's the only reason) - but until I get mine in my hands I won't know for sure if I can trust my arrangement. I basically became a reseller to get my set. If it works out I'll share details but if not, I'll just quietly post that I was a fool and change the subject :lol:

Last edited:
Fwiw, I went down to route of getting refurb + exchange of old set. £980 is what it cost me fully fitted, about 6 months ago.

Wow ! At that new price, not worth getting refurb and the waiting, and just have the old ones on the bench ready for a refurb in the future ?
Good price comparisons there!

No not yet - still on back order at Denso . I don't have a confirmed date yet (checking again later today).

I was hoping the talk of another "global shortage" was over hyped but it seems like it might be the case. I feel like we need to be extra careful about dodgy ones and remanufactured ones in legit boxes when there's not many about. Mine "should" be OE from Denso to me without the boxes opened - but they are still going through a third party so until they are in my hands I can't be 100% sure.

Your quoted prices are a fraction cheaper than Toyota UK but still a real liberty.

Turbo DIesel and PFJones list them at around £250 each including VAT which seems about right to me.

I didn't get them from either of those because I wanted to shorten the supply chain as much as possible (that's the only reason) - but until I get mine in my hands I won't know for sure if I can trust my arrangement. I basically became a reseller to get my set. If it works out I'll share details but if not, I'll just quietly post that I was a fool and change the subject :lol:
Thanks for that Sam,good luck

Back