Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Injector well out of spec. What are the dangers?

Rob Cowell

Country Flag
wales
So armed with my new OBDII/Techstream reader, I've been looking at the fuel trims for my injectors. My understanding is that they are in tolerance if they are reading +/- 3.0. Injector 1 is "stuck" on 5.0. Doesn't change with revs or temperature. 2,3 are around +/- 1.0. 4 is -3.4 cold, -2.5 hot.

Maybe confusing what I'm reading but if an injector is struck open you get diesel in the oil. Obviously nasty. My oil level is spot on and doesn't smell of anything other than oil.

So injector 1 seems well out. How dangerous is it to drive like this? OK, I'm throwing away fuel, but am I wrecking the engine? Might have a go at this myself but wouldn't be able to for a couple of weeks. Or do I need to bite the bullet and find a garage I trust pronto?

Rob

Sorry i don't know anything about injectors but i am interested in your ODB2 reader!
I have a 2005 LC4 and when i looked into this it seems to be some weird form of hybrid from ODB to ODB2 and could not get any response from a reader i bought off ebay other than the type of ODB it was (not even sure if that info was correct?)
Any chance of a pic please?

Thanks Simon

Hi Simon. I got one of these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321820231343

Just a cable and a CD with Techstream software. I have an OBD2 reader I use for my Jimny and that doesn't work on the LC.

As supplied it doesn't want to work with a 64 bit Windows OS. I couldn't get the Windows 32bit VM for Windows 7 64 bit to recognise USB devices. But I got it to work with Windows 7 64 bit with these instructions http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73034
The one thing I had to do differently was use the MCI driver file from the supplied CD rather than the dropbox download set of files shown in the thread. I tried first with all the thread files and although the cable looked to have the drivers installed correctly Techstream gave me connection errors.

Thought I'd update this because I had to check back on the thread to see what my injector feedback values were when I tested last year. So since then, where the numbers scared me, I've replaced my fuel filter, run Redex through the tank twice, and wherever possible used premium diesel (any brand, Texaco, BP, Shell). Checked again and they're 0.3, -1.0, 0.7, -0.5. Which I'm very happy with. My methodical approach to testing in IT completely ignored by doing several things and so not knowing what effect each has had. But things worth trying if your numbers look worrying. I really didnt think any of them would help but it was a form of procrastination rather than deciding if I was brave (and wealthy) enough to swap the injectors.

Back