Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Installing a 2nd valve

warrenpfo

Now that I have the 16” alloys for the “new” tyres not only am I going to give them a refurb and a lick of paint myself as well as practicing changing tyres prior to painting I also want to install a second valve so that I can run a tyre monitoring system.

Does anyone know the process, risks of self drilling a hole to that the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] valve would be on the opposite side of the current valve but on the inside of the alloy behind one of the spokes so its out of sight and out of mind.

The reason for this is 3 fold. The first being if it can’t be seen then hopefully the thieving buggers in SA won’t know the sensors are there to be stolen. Secondly I want to run the sensors that screw onto the valve body rather than installed on the inside of the tyre and thirdly I figured it may help to balance the tyre if its opposite the current valve and being behind a spoke it wont be prone to rocks or getting ripped off.

I had thought of using these valves.

V3107.JPG

I don’t want to damage the rim or weaken it.

Out of interest why would you use these for pressure monitoring? There must be quite a few manufacturers that use a sensor that is attached to the inside of the rim? It's what I had on one of my motorbikes a few years ago...

They would have to clear the brakes if they are on the inside.

Out of interest why would you use these for pressure monitoring? There must be quite a few manufacturers that use a sensor that is attached to the inside of the rim? It's what I had on one of my motorbikes a few years ago...

The reason I want to go for the sensors that screw on is that they can be changed far easier than those that go inside the tyre and if you in the bush and need to fix a tyre then I dont want to be worried about a sensor on the inside that could be damaged by a tyre lever etc.

There is also the fact that it makes changing the sensor over to the spare if needed that much easier rather than getting a unit that takes 8 sensors, 4 for the car 2 for the trailer and a further 2 spares.

They would have to clear the brakes if they are on the inside.

Good point I had not thought of that...will take some measurements when I get home.

Last edited:
Clearing the callipers will be a PITA and you are adding another point of failure ... I would / will use internal monitors, you're not going to catch them with a tyre lever very easily.

Last edited:
Clearing the callipers will be a PITA and you are adding another point of failure ... I would / will use internal monitors, you're not going to catch them with a tyre lever very easily.

Do you plan on incorporating it into the Audrino?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That's the plan eventually yes but I have some gaps in my technical knowledge of them to fill first before that can happen so that could be anything from a few months from now to never!

Back