Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Interesting Lift

Julian T

Garage
Country Flag
south_africa
I saw this a few years ago at the Peterborough LR show, they impressed me then and I must confess I am still intrigued by the idea.
Cant say I am not tempted to speak to the gent who does this and find out if he ever got around to doing a version for the LC 80 as he mentioned he was going to.
Linky below and what do you think?

http://www.killeraxles.com/bolt_on_portale_e.html

It seems to be a very well engineered product.

That's brilliant, I suppose that's the other way (after fitting larger tyres) of lifting the whole vehicle.

A friend of mine fitted portal axles on his patrol. Now he is running 47" tyres. Will see if I can dig up some photos

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Ever since I drove Unimogs in the northern Transvaal and Botswana I have liked Portal axles, I could even say I fell in love with them, the improvement in ground clearance is one of the main reasons and as Tibus said, and says on his website, the reduction in load on the drive train is something else I like.

His mate had a 130 on the same stand as Allisport at the show and it looked excellent, strangely with the portals and bigger wheels/tires it looked in proportion.

The only thing that puts me off is the use of Chevrolet callipers, pads and discs but there is nothing preventing the specification of another brand I suppose as everything is made up in house.

The cream 110 in the header for killer axles is Tibus's own landy and it has the chev 6.0 V8 diesel conversion.

Last edited:
Portal's are pretty cool; both the Pinzgauer and Volvo C303 both use portals as well; as an aside does it also improve the turning circle with large tyres? If you think about it, instead of turning at the diameter (the widest point) you're turning it so that the chord (and the resulting smaller segment) is going to be the restriction instead of the diameter...

Looking very quickly at it there does seem to be a trend emerging there...
-Unimog
-Pinzgauer
-C303
... all military spec vehicles at one point or another in their lives...

I wonder if you can get them through engineering for use in Australia...

The only thing taht put me off was the price - I remember when he was developing them the price was £8k for a Defender.....:shock:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I was quoted £6000 to custom make up a set for my 80, and that was before he started on the ones for the 70, he took photo's and measurements off my front axle.

Paddler Ed, the only way to know with Aus is to ask, I cant see why not because suspension and steering geometry are not affected by this conversion.

Last edited:
Tibus portals have been top of my wish list for quite a while......

Yes, and his winches are a thing of rare engineering beauty as well ;)

i would give it a shot ...
i like the idea of not having the rediculious low ratio of some of the portals where you need huge tires to get your rpms down.

Back