Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Inverter to charge ipad

warrenpfo

Do I need a pure sine wave inverter to then charge my Ipad or would a std inverter work.

I plan on using my large pure sine wave 2k inverter for overlanding trips and would like to install a small one in the car for charging phones, laptops, ipads and batteries etc.

Can I just use a std normall el-cheapo 300w inverter.

I did just that with a 300w before I got the 2K sine wave jobby, mobile, camera batteries, other peoples mobiles, camera batteries . . . . . :roll:

I wonder about this sometimes - most of what you've mentioned you can get a 12volt input lead for - and if you've hooked up iPod connectivity to your radio, etc. that will charge your iDevice (can I copyright that term??)

My battery charger (GP rechargeables) has a 240volt and a 12volt capability, so that works for me.

My laptop runs off a 12 volt input as well, which has it's own PSU step-up built in... - most laptops only run on 19 volts anyway, so your 12volt -> 240volt -> 19volt is a tad expensive, energy-wise.

I could be way off-track here, but I fear using an inverter indiscriminantly because they can chew battery power (clearly new smart ones are different). Heard of a few horror stories where it's been run off a ciggie lighter (small inverter) or hard-wired to starting batteries that then die... :|

The only device (so far) I haven't found a way of charging off a 12volt supply is my Sony SLT-A55 battery - and I haven't really looked too hard.

Don't get me wrong - I'm sure an inverter is a perfectly good option - just wondering though. If I can take one step out the complexity of 'doing stuff' it seems to make some sense? I'd rather my leisure battery was keeping my fridge running than charging my phone, tbh :p

I used to charge my laptop from it's own 12v adaptor but the plug on the end of the lead melted (probably from over use, I would leave it plugged in permanently rather than recharge when flat) so that was when I started using the inverter for that, and the camera battery charger was one of those with a 13a plug incorporated in the body so there was no other way,

That seems to be my problem too most of my gear has not come with 12v leads or chargers. I would like to find a small yet "smart" 300w or smaller inverter to hide out of the way so that from the driver seat i can plug in a laptop or battery charger.

I do agree though with the whole keep it simple idea

My 500w inverter is wired at the back of the truck to something like this:
GetAttachment99.jpg

I then ran an extension socket to the front passenger seat with space for 3 plugs. So we just used the regular chargers for laptop, phones, cameras etc

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Can't see the image (work firewall :twisted: ) but I think I use my 500w inverter that way too, for stuff I can't run off 12v - but it's only on 'on-demand' as it were.

Warren - I bought a small Ring 300watt inverter from Halfrauds for about £40 or so, and whilst not terribly 'smart' it did work for the laptop ...

Gary Stockton said:
Warren - I bought a small Ring 300watt inverter from Halfrauds for about £40 or so, and whilst not terribly 'smart' it did work for the laptop ...
I have the same one that I bought from off the Bay for a little less and it's been perfect for charging phones, cameras & AA batteries. I've also used it for powering my lap top, my 100w soldering iron and my hot glue gun :D The reason I bought the 300w one instead of anything larger was that my reading of the subject suggested that anything over this size would require hard wiring in and should not be powered via a 12v accessories socket / cigarette lighter socket. It has been perfect for everything that I've required 240v for so far and I just keep it in the draw under my passenger seat when not in use. With regards to charging the iPad while on the move I've just taken delivery of an new iPad3 and I'm considering one of these for the task of keeping it topped up while on the move http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110831742116? ... _744wt_922 there's a number of these type of USB chargers available the thing to consider if buying one for the iPad is that it has an output of 2.1Amps or more :)

Tesco sell a can inverter which fits into a cupholder. 120W but will be fine fir mist things.

Remember cig lighter is fused at 10A which equates to 120W so no point going higher.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

Back