Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Is it me or is the forum grinding to a halt (in web terms)

None of the ones with details looks too bad they're all in the microsecond range but the ones with * look like that are timing out which is probably where the issue is. As there are no details we don't know where they are.

I can't do a traceroute here to compare as I only have my phone.

All that is stored on your computer is the website address. It you do a search you will get the same address which will resolve to the same route I'm afraid.

Ahh, OK got that.

The *** I had assumed were the end of the search. It said something about a max of 64 hops, so I presumed it would just keep ticking until it reached 64 if you get me.

The last hop should be to the address you specify.

Try doing one to Google or the BBC and see if you get a full trace.

Ahh, OK got that.

The *** I had assumed were the end of the search. It said something about a max of 64 hops, so I presumed it would just keep ticking until it reached 64 if you get me.
Not all devices respond to the ping traceroute uses, so 3 stars / request timed out is not unusual. Large times at one of the hops or a line with a mixture of times and * would have pointed to a problem.

Chris, click on get latest posts and then have a look at the response times top right, mine just retured the results saying "Search took 0.01 seconds", can't get much faster that that :icon-biggrin:

What result is your search time giving?

If the result is quick but the time to serve it up is slow, then it won't be a server issue.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yes, BY Trevor.

Paul, just did that search took 0.02 seconds. It seems better just at the second. But I have been taking as long as 30 seconds. Not just a lag, but a full 'nothing happening' pause. It says waiting for landcruiser club in the bottom left of the pane.

I let the tracer run again and it just printed lines and lines of *** until it went back to the prompt.

You could try using some of the alternative DNS addresses that BT have in case the current one you are using is having difficulty resolving this particular website to its IP address.

Primary DNS: 62.6.40.178

Secondary DNS: 62.6.40.162

Tertiary DNS: 194.72.9.38

Additional DNS: 194.72.9.34

Additional DNS: 194.72.0.98

Additional DNS: 194.72.0.114

Additional DNS: 194.74.65.68

Additional DNS: 194.74.65.69

Not saying it will fix it but you can try ruling out DNS issues.

I'm seeing this as well but fairly sporadic.

It could be a DNS problem server side too.

....Paul, just did that search took 0.02 seconds. But I have been taking as long as 30 seconds. Not just a lag, but a full 'nothing happening' pause. It says waiting for landcruiser club in the bottom left of the pane.

Yes but after the 'nothing happening' scenario what does it say for the search result.... I doubt very much it will be as long as you have been waiting.

Looks like this is a DNS issue with One&One

Sorry Paul, as you have only just educated me on the search time thing, I have no records of what says when I have to wait. I will be looking for it. But that doesn't appear when simply selecting a thread. That is what has been taking so long. The new threads search hasn't really been hanging.

I can try some DNS things just as soon as I have worked that out.

.... I can try some DNS things just as soon as I have worked that out.
Nothing for you to try Chris, if the DNS are having a tantrum there's nothing you can do. Editing your Hosts file will not help either as the issue appears to be in France somewhere.

It may not be related but if anyone out there is troubleshooting this site they might be interested to know half my posts lately can only be viewed if i sign in yet the other half go public ?

Ah perhaps that explains it Bat21 i haven't been on much lately and looking through the link you kindly provided yes the missing comments were posted on there , makes sense no need to go public with deals between members . Thanks for that .

Cheers Paul. Seems slightly better this afternoon.

Chris

Chris,

Is there any sort of time when it is slow? The server normally sits around 30-40% busy but gets busier in the evenings - around 60%. When the backups start then it gets near 100% but that is around midnight for about 20 minutes.
Your tracert looks ok - there is no real slowness there.
When it is slow again, try clicking here (http://network-tools.com/default.asp?prog=trace&host=www.landcruiserclub.net) and send me the results. It's a treacert from a different location.

OK CP will do. No it no particular time. Recently it has been ALL the time. Tediously slow. I'll video it next time ha ha

Back