Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Is it me or is the forum grinding to a halt (in web terms)

Sorry Fellas absolutely up to my God damn nads at the second and whilst this has been most annoying it's simply isn't my highest priority at the sec. I just don't have time to play around with stuff - but it does seem to be pretty much back to normal speed. Which is a bit Ginger Beer.

High Crispin, slow again today until I've been on here for say 5-10 minutes and it seems to be fine.

Not worth worrying about TBH.

Frank,

From where do you access the site? Home? phone (other mobile?) Work etc?
I've had a look at your logs and you have a weirdly large amount of IP addresses. Basically, it looks like you keep coming at it from different locations. To me, it looks like you have 687 different computers or locations you access the forum from. Interesting, Chris is the same though not as bad.
It looks like Tiscali is shunting you all over the place which could have something to do with this.

If we could try something else please (I would like to understand what the problem is)
When it is fast, go to https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=what+is+my+ip and not the IP address. It'll be the bold number next to "Your public IP address is"
Do the same when it is slow again.

I've checked a few other users and as much as we do access from different locations, it's in a 20s and 30s, not 600s...

I'll log in from one of 3 devices, in 2 locations:
-My laptop is either on the home wi-fi network or one of 2 uni networks (mainly the same one)
-My tablet is the same
-My mobile phone is on the 3G network as I get more data than I can use up in month (2GB!)

Generally I don't find the speed a problem, but I do log on at Aussie peak times rather than UK peak times.

Just as a thought, when I started on here it was a much smaller site; as it's grown has the bandwidth been increased? If people are accessing at peak times in the UK, where the majority of users are, then might that not cause a problem?

Good luck with the fixes!

Ed,

I don't think it is bandwidth related. We use around 80GB/month at the moment which is not a lot. When looking at the graph the loads are very small, typically around 10-20% with with maxing out for a few minutes when I do a backup at mid night each night.
Your connection will always be slightly laggy because of the leap across the world. Doing a tracert now to one of your IPs gets around 300ms response time.

One computer, one everything and always from the same home address with Tiscali broadband.

I clicked on your link and found my IP address in black bold type..........what do I do?

Assume I'm fro Mars and have never seen a computer before. I know almost nothing about their use.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just take note of it and see if it is different next time you have a speed issue. I'm curious to see if it differs.

Now you see this is what confuses me. I have been on here for a few mins catching up and it's been fast and no problem. Working my way down the news posts since last visit, click - nice, click - rubbish, click, I'd buy that, click - still talking bollox as usual, click - seen it, click .................... 20 seconds later topic appears. How does one thread load so slowly when half a dozen have loaded instantly?

That's just computers Chris. If you had the top computer brain in the world he would probably spend hours finding out how your connection to the site is working. Then he would not be able to do anything about it anyway.

Crispin I fell out with Tiscali 2 years ago. The gypsies stole 0.7 km of main phone cable and it took 2 or so months to replace. At the time I had to keep in contact with UCLH by email and they looked after me by setting up a phone mast connection FOC. I wonder if I have some sort of marker on me. I know BT had a marker on me before I joined Tiscali as they could not transfer my land line to them until I agreed to its removal. It was called "priority care".

Now you see this is what confuses me. I have been on here for a few mins catching up and it's been fast and no problem. Working my way down the news posts since last visit, click - nice, click - rubbish, click, I'd buy that, click - still talking bollox as usual, click - seen it, click .................... 20 seconds later topic appears. How does one thread load so slowly when half a dozen have loaded instantly?

With a thousands of threads it'll take me a while to work out which one your talking about.

Without a smoking gun there us bugger all I can do because the speed issues do not appear to be on my side (or there would be many complaints) but want to understand why you say other sites are OK at the same time. That's the odd part.

I'm going to try add a button you can click on when it's slow. It'll then to a speed test against your connection. Will give details soon.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

My computer was fine this morning so I noted the IP address. Now it is slow and I have a different IP address. I thought any computer only had one IP address or am I getting confused with its identity number?

I suspect you're getting confused with the IP your service provider is assigning for your internet connection, which is usually dynamic (unless you're paying out serious coin for a connection with static IP)

Just had it hanging here too about 20 minutes ago :(

Crispin, is Ping disabled to the site URL as doing a Tracert seems to struggle past one of One&One's nodes and doing a Ping comes back with a timeout every time.

My computer was fine this morning so I noted the IP address. Now it is slow and I have a different IP address. I thought any computer only had one IP address or am I getting confused with its identity number?

That does suggest that the new IP you're getting is perhaps getting a different route. Odd though.

Would be interested to see the following results:
Assuming you're on windows:
Click start
Type cmd and press enter
Type tracert www.landcruiserclub.net and press enter
Wait for it to complete or start timing out (asterisks shown)
Email the details to me or post them here along with "this was a fast day" or "this was a slow day". It would be handy to compare the two.

It's looking like it is a problem with your ISP but contacting them without this info there is little they can do (don't expect massive results even with it)

Just had it hanging here too about 20 minutes ago :(

Crispin, is Ping disabled to the site URL as doing a Tracert seems to struggle past one of One&One's nodes and doing a Ping comes back with a timeout every time.

Correct, I block ICMP (ping) on the firewall - there is no point in not. ;) The FW (it's mine) is the last point anyway, there is nothing beyond that which would slow things down.

Give me a comparison on the two tracerts as well as one from www.network-tools.com
You also have a silly amount of IP addresses against your name so suspect it might be the same type of thing.

Back