Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Is it ok to have 265/65/18 on front and 275/65/18 on back?

illiniLC

Country Flag
united_states
Hi guys-

I need to replace my tires on my 2003 Land Cruiser. I have a pair of Michelin LTX MS2 that are 265/65/18 that I'd like to put on my LC. I found another pair of the same tires, except they are 275 width. Anyone out there know if this would be ok to have 265's on one axle and 275's on the other, all else being the same?

Cheers!

Mike

I would suggest that the tyres should stay the same front and rear as the rolling radius is 251.86 cm on the 265's and 255.95 cm on the 275's.
Hope this helps?
BTW, Welcome.

"all tyres must be the same size, specification and brand" according to the owners manual.

Same tyres all-round will always be recommended by any vehicle manufacturer. I guess standard open diffs can compensate to a degree for small differences in rolling radius but not sure how ABS or electronic traction control or VC's in the drivetrain etc (as in later 80 series) would cope though. Best stick with what's recommended. JMO

I think you'd wreck either your diffs or transmission running various tyre set ups like you suggested. I read somewhere (maybe in the toyota manual) even when you have all 4 matching tyres, you should have the tyres with more tread on the front axle. Can't explain why, but that's what I read. If it was a emergency or one off trip then you might get away with it. But for thousands of miles, it's certainly not worth the risk of damage done to your cruiser.

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about make or spec of tyre, but the size is important, keep it the same!

you'd have to carry two spares, one of each size, as you wouldn't be able to mix sizes on an axle, even if all the other concerns above were overcome.

Personally I'd buy 2 new tyres of whichever size you prefer and put the other 2 on ebay

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
No No No. All 4 of the same size.

I'd agree with the general assessment. I'd even try to keep the tread depths similar across all four tyres. I change all of my at the same time.

You've sort of answered a question I was about to ask. Yesterday I was told by a tyre supplier that I should replace all four at once - the fronts are worn but the backs only half-worn. As soon as I said "but there's a diff in the middle" he shut up. I can't see what a rolling difference caused by 6mm difference in diameter can make - tyres wear all the time. I really only use the 120 on tarmac. Any comments please?

do you have all four tyres the same size John?

Ideally put 4 new ones on together but I would use new tyres with worn ones as long as they are the same size. The difs will cope with the difference in their circumference.

Back