Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Is Toyota trying to cheat me on this torsion bar replacement?

Pedroafigueira

Country Flag
portugal
Hi,
After buying my 1998 HDJ100 diesel, I took it to Toyota to change oil, fluids, filters, etc, and to do a general "inspection".
Two "expensive" repairs were recommended: steering pump replacement (leaking) and torsion bar replacement due to ruber bushings being broken.
The sent me pictures of both issues
AF1QipNekHUBJ0iDwmdIeMN-AOSLr5YXz_9ukaicZ96F

If The pump leaking is easy to confirm, the torsion bar doesn't feel right. I searched for the parts they recommended in the budget they sent and they don' t look at all like the pictures, and to my understanding there are no ruber bushings in torsion bars.

I feel like I am being cheated by Toyota, but my knowledge is very limited and I am not sure. Can anyone help me on this?

Thank you!

Firstly the steering pump is a fairly straightforward fix with a kit and an excellent write up on here and secondly i’m pretty sure that isn’t a torsion bar in the picture. It looks more like a trailing arm from the rear suspension setup though someone else might be able to confirm.

My advice would be to do both yourself with the forum’s help, save yourself some serious cash and learn a bit about your truck as you go. All depends how confident you are on the spanners Pedro. Parts can be obtained easily from Amayama.com and neither are a technical challenge really.

You don't need to replace the bar when changing a bush.

From the way it was described in the first post led me to think it was the front axle torsion bar. This isn't

As said above here, pump can be fixed, and bushings can be changed without changing the bar. The anti roll bar, or stabilizer bar (one front and one rear) is technically a torsion bar. But when you say torsion bar on a car with torsion bar/spring suspension, it's normally the spring you mean.
Changing rubber bushes on anti roll bars is normal maintenance, and a pretty quick job too, if there isn't too much rust.

Hi all, again :)
thank you very much for the help. I checked the "pro-forma" invoice part numbers and searched in here (https://toyota-europe.epc-data.com/land_cruiser/hdj100l/8924/chassis/). They are parts: 4871060070, 4871060080 and 4874060080 (circled in the picture below), which are not torsion bars, but are named as suched in the invoice.

suspensionPartsLC.jpg
Besides charging double the price on part 48740, I just wanted to confirm that you can change the bush without replacing the bar. They want to charge me above 800 euros just for these 3 bars...What do you recommend me to do?

Thanks in advance!

Pedro

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Get the bushes and for ease the bolts that go through them (you may not need these), find someone with a press and unbolt each one in turn and press in the rubbers. Refit and drive down the road with a big grin knowing that you’ve saved yourself €700 and learned a bit about your truck and a new skill into the bargain. While you’re at it I’d consider replacing all the bushes, if some are gone in those places, more will soon follow unless they’ve already been done.

Amayama will havevthe parts and a vice and some sockets or sleeves will help get the bushes out and the new ones in.

This is all unless they are bonded in of course. I don’t know hundees.

Back