Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

It was me!

Haha. You have permission.

Yup, firewood. 2 x 1.6m3 will see me through till Jan / Feb :(.

I swear it is cheaper to buy and burn Shell's most expensive petrol than wood in the UK :(

same here :( NOT!:clap: :dance: we pay 150€ for 4 m3, oak and chestnut, chopped into 500mm lengths, delivered and stacked into our barn. This is our only source of heating (we have oil burner and rads, but never used it).
We get through max 6m3 a year, fire lights up in November, goes out in April!

I wonder if if it's cheaper to come fetch some :(

I paid £200 for each 1.6m3 pallet. It's kiln dried, the non kiln dried is always moldy and pointless. It's easier to get asbestos to light with a wet box of matches.

It's also dumped (;)) outside your house and one wheelie bin at a time I have to drag it to the end of the garden.

My wife says the ambiance of the wood fire is worth it... Anyone want a wife?

An uncle of mine goes to a local saw mill and for 30 quid fills an 8 legger tipper lorry with offcuts the guys told him he is doing them a favour because otherwise they would have to put the lot through a chipping machine turning it to saw dust for disposal . Worth a call to your local one maybe .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I dunno if it's worth the hassle of chopping pallets but you could always clear out your local trading estate.

Might try that shayne.

Nick, I chop the pallets are kindling. The effort of chopping them and the speed at which they burn is about all they good for :(.

There is mountains of cut wood stacked around the place. It all belongs to someone! - unless...the wood land is communal and you can help yourself (with Mayors OK) Lots of folk retire and then start clearing people forests - 2/3 for the cutter and 1/3 for the owner, who gets his wood and a nice coppiced woodland ;)

Fair enough. We burn our unwanted pallets. It's a hateful job.

There is a company near me that buys them from you. They refurbish them. Pay cash too ;)

We took a lorry load of pallets to them once, they refused them as of no use to them. The only ones I've ever managed to sell are nice clean euro pallets, occasionally pays for my fat Friday. Now the boss has a go at us if we bring anything back. Causes many an argument, i have to explain that every delivery comes with a free pallet!

same here :( NOT!:clap: :dance: we pay 150€ for 4 m3, oak and chestnut, chopped into 500mm lengths, delivered and stacked into our barn. This is our only source of heating (we have oil burner and rads, but never used it).
We get through max 6m3 a year, fire lights up in November, goes out in April!

My mother once called me and said that she'd ordered some wood (in France) and could I come help stack it. So I drove there (4 hours) which was a bit tricky as I had recently torn ligaments in my ankle. When I got there she told me they had a special offer on she'd bought a bit more than planned. I asked how much? She said 10m3. I almost fainted.

Next morning, they couldn't reverse the lorry into my parents house so they just dumped it, blocking a public road. Panic! I think I've never worked harder or been in more pain. Oh, and that was 5 years ago and the wood is still not burnt yet.

(I think it cost 200 euros by the way)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There good at blocking roads aint they! Any excuse, cones, diversion, no further diversion signs, so unless you know the roads, your stuffed! I have had 2 eppies at 2 different road gangs due to road works - I got so mad with one lot I just started spouting as many English swear words as I could ! I asked him which way to go as he had the road closed off to get to 'x' he shrugged his shoulders.......kah boom! Light blue touch paper and laugh at the red faced Eeeenglish who is lost.......well wasnt lost as the Tom tom took me on a 20k diversion but that road was closed due to re surfacing.......and this is why I asked the stupid question in the first place.......
Often, I just do what the French do and ignore the diversion sign...

Back