Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

iwan's 70's!

I had a Manual pump few years back and ended up selling it to a gent in Poland. He used it on his 90 series truck and said with a high flow turbo, port work, exhaust, IC ect, and tweaking the pump he was around 180hb at the WHEELS, and heaps of torque. His truck was a rally spec.

When possible, see if you can do a 0-60 run in your 70. Would give a good reference point to other people tuning there motors and also to see which pump is the better one. I recently installed a DP Chip on my truck so will be doing a run myself.

Been for a run out in the Welsh mountains today!
20180422_114750.jpg

Great runner!
20180422_115251.jpg

Took a scenic route west

20180422_120741.jpg

The boy is happy in the terrain.
20180422_120817.jpg

Hands in the pants shot!
20180422_121952.jpg

Wales amazes me how vast and unpopulated it is when out in the mountains. . Truly unique and stunning
For a small country!
20180422_122943.jpg

Mountain top lake.
20180422_123154.jpg

20180422_124649.jpg

Really like this picture. .. great contrast with the green grass of home!
20180422_141845.jpg

After a bit more of a drive on the asphalt.. we got into the dovey forrest. . Now this place has some pretty full on off road challenges!
20180422_141929.jpg

Great little truck!
20180422_142619.jpg

There's literally tons of challenging side tracks... big area of forrest. .. but being a 1 truck outing and not really prepared for self recovery. . Best to stay on the safe side! Must be getting old or a little wiser!
20180422_142843.jpg

Naaahh... bloody steep with big rock steps!
About 500 metres above sea level here!
You can get to the top but its very boggy and very likely to get stuck. .. so who will find you there???
20180422_143839.jpg

Real nice log cabin way up in the mountains
20180422_144000.jpg

Fresh turquoise waters

20180422_145307.jpg

I wreckon my 81 would go up there...
If anyone is interested in heading out here sometime this summer to try some rock crawling here and wild camp for a couple of days. .. then there's quite a good place to goto! Safety in numbers!
Hope you enjoyed the pictures! :thumbup:

Pal looks like you're having a blast!

Did my PM come through about the old grab handles?

Hi Iwan thanks for the pics looking good a lot of fun :thumbup:

Cheers Tony! Just a day out and a look around a place where we used to go full on off road... We didn't go too far off the logging trails as I don't really want to scratch the paint on the 71 and not having recovery gear etc! Glad you liked the pic's mate! :thumbup:

Pal looks like you're having a blast!

Did my PM come through about the old grab handles?

Yo man! I got your message! When We got home yesterday I had a quick look for the pieces and found a few of them! But needed to cook dinner so stopped.. I've been out just now after work and found a bucket that yielded the rest! Happy days they're here! I'll blast a pic on your thread for you to see! Cheers man!:thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Count me in for a trundle round the forest at some point. looks awesome. i might have found a 2H... will give you a bell at some point in the next few days. cheers bud.

Count me in for a trundle round the forest at some point. looks awesome. i might have found a 2H... will give you a bell at some point in the next few days. cheers bud.

Sound man! I'll take you up on this! There doesn't seem to be any hard core 80 series peeps taking up on this! I think I'll trailer my 81 up behind my 71 to this! :laughing-rolling::dance: They got an 80 but they don't wanna get it into trouble! lol # you know who you are! :clap::text-lol::banana-guitar::text-goodpost:

Sound man! I'll take you up on this! There doesn't seem to be any hard core 80 series peeps taking up on this! I think I'll trailer my 81 up behind my 71 to this! :laughing-rolling::dance: They got an 80 but they don't wanna get it into trouble! lol # you know who you are! :clap::text-lol::banana-guitar::text-goodpost:
Depends when it is, I'd happily come along!

We would love to Ewan. Give the old 80 some more adventure patina. But won't be until late summer at best as i have a very special delivery around the 28th of
May thats going to take a lot of my time! Not another cruiser no! This one is small and pink and poos and cries and going to trash my 80s leather.

Sounds like a good plan... late August / early September. I have a lot of work come in so be good to get through that!
Something to look forward to is great!
It's a massive forrest in the mountains so I would say that there's no limit to numbers!
Also if people don't want to go off the logging roads then that's cool too!

Brilliant, unless you're bored in a couple of weeks when I have the week off with nothing to do except take the P out of Trev for a couple of days

Great photos Iwan.

I can’t be homesick for the sake of mountains, I’ve got them on my doorstep here, but its always a pleasure to see the green green grass, good memories of the best part of 15 years of my younger life... :thumbup:

Brilliant, unless you're bored in a couple of weeks when I have the week off with nothing to do except take the P out of Trev for a couple of days

Wouldn't be a bad idea to take a recky run sometime, but I'm building oak frames on my own at the moment and it's quite frankly knackering me! The place is a maze so the challenging tracks need to be re discovered.

During the week I'd avoid the place really cause the loaded logging lorries are hammering along the main tracks and they're in cb contact with the other wagons who wait until the opposite direction traffic has passed... pretty dangerous for unknown cruisers on a day out! It happened to us when the fellas from Holland came over to offroad and I got really shocked!

Possible to come to my place on a Friday evening/night and have a few beers/food then head out there early on Saturday morning etc... a plan in the making mate!:thumbup:

Friday 11th may ok?

Last edited:
Been for a run out in the Welsh mountains today!
View attachment 143556
Great runner!
View attachment 143557
Took a scenic route west

View attachment 143558
The boy is happy in the terrain.
View attachment 143559
Hands in the pants shot!
View attachment 143560
Wales amazes me how vast and unpopulated it is when out in the mountains. . Truly unique and stunning
For a small country!
View attachment 143561
Mountain top lake.
View attachment 143562

View attachment 143563
Really like this picture. .. great contrast with the green grass of home!
View attachment 143564
After a bit more of a drive on the asphalt.. we got into the dovey forrest. . Now this place has some pretty full on off road challenges!
View attachment 143565
Great little truck!
View attachment 143566
There's literally tons of challenging side tracks... big area of forrest. .. but being a 1 truck outing and not really prepared for self recovery. . Best to stay on the safe side! Must be getting old or a little wiser!
View attachment 143567
Naaahh... bloody steep with big rock steps!
About 500 metres above sea level here!
You can get to the top but its very boggy and very likely to get stuck. .. so who will find you there???
View attachment 143568
Real nice log cabin way up in the mountains
View attachment 143569
Fresh turquoise waters

View attachment 143570
I wreckon my 81 would go up there...
If anyone is interested in heading out here sometime this summer to try some rock crawling here and wild camp for a couple of days. .. then there's quite a good place to goto! Safety in numbers!
Hope you enjoyed the pictures! :thumbup:
Great pics!
I love wales, we used to go once a month to the mountain bike trail centres.
A welsh pal of mine is getting married in a couple of months, so will be staying over a couple of nights, looking forward to it.

I'll have a think mate! I've got a rusty leaking diesel return pipe on Jeffery with a G (81).. slightly bigger job than expected!! Def need to make a plan!:thumbup:

Great pics!
I love wales, we used to go once a month to the mountain bike trail centres.
A welsh pal of mine is getting married in a couple of months, so will be staying over a couple of nights, looking forward to it.

Sound man.. have you been to the down hill mountain biking track in Llangynog? It's not far from here.... if you take your cruiser on the adjoining tracks around there they get very lairy with you lol!

Sound man.. have you been to the down hill mountain biking track in Llangynog? It's not far from here.... if you take your cruiser on the adjoining tracks around there they get very lairy with you lol!
No, not that one. If its the one i think they used to have a old army truck as a "up lift"?

machynlleth.
Penmachno.
Coed-y-Brenin.
Betws-y-Coed.
were regular haunts, we also biked down snowden a couple of times.. awesome!

Thanks mate! Yes it takes a lot of research, trial and error! I really like to beat the electronics! It's a pretty big challenge to get the C clip out of the e pump. Also a shame that the place that the spill control valve fits is raised and a different thread to the manual stop solenoid. If it was the same then you could just bolt on the distribution head with the 12mm plunger in it. Looks a pricey job to get one from NZ especially when your running on a budget!

There's quite a few Chinese 12mm distribution heads but am a bit dubious as to the quality etc. But that's the ultimate solution with the e camplate and rollers etc.

With the VE4/12mm pumps I've only managed to find 1kzt, 14bt and a big Isuzu engine that have this so they all seem really rare pumps to get.
View attachment 141099
Here's the difference in the plunger size 10mm and it shows the tight area the stop solenoid is where the spill valve is situated.
View attachment 141100
This is from a toyota carina! 10mm really cheap off ebay.
View attachment 141102
This pump is off a uk toyota estima lucida 3ct 10mm again! Perfect fit and had the correct throttle linkages... timed up to 1.57 again. Thing I've come to realise is that these are old engines now and it will help them to run longer being slightly under fueled. The 12mm pumps can deliver soo much fuel that the heads will eventually go. Which is a shame.
View attachment 141103
And it's fitted to lil blues engine! It's also fitted to my favourite red 70!
Really itching to get the body off and seal up the underside, clean up the chassis and axles then a full respray back to original! Hence the reason for changing the thread title so it will carry on the thread!:icon-biggrin::thumbup:
This was an amazing read Iwan! I stumbled upon this thread while doing research on mechanical injection pumps for the 1KZ. Goes without saying that I had to register myself to the website and bother you with a few questions lol.
I read here that the 14BT injection pump has the same VE4/12 mark on it which means it has a 12mm plunger correct? So does that mean that I can bolt that straight to my 1KZ and be done with it? Or will I need the 1KZ injection pump cam or will only adjusting the fuel line firing order work?

Back